Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Two year old standard breeding pair.
IMG_4214.JPG

@troyer out of curiosity, why do you prefer black Cubalayas over Sumatras?
My first preference is the overall look, the second preference is temperament.
Cubalaya temperament is curious and friendly without being handled much.
That being said, it depends on how the line has been bred, has it been selected for a curious and friendly disposition or has it strictly been bred for type alone? In my opinion some lines have not been selected enough for disposition and I consider that a breeder flaw.
I have had hatchery and show quality Sumatra, the show quality have been the ones with a better temperament, but it seemed that if they were ever provoked/scared whether by accident or intentially, they never "forgave" the incident whereas the Cubalaya always have, it'll take a while at times, but they become friendly and curious again.
Cubalaya love being at my feet on a regular basis and the Sumatra seemed more standoff-ish.
I am of the opinion that either breed depending on how it is raised will be either a bit flighty or calm with the Cubalaya tending to be friendly and the Sumatra standoff-ish.
In hand, as adults Cubalaya are more solid than they appear and Sumatra are less solid than they appear. I like the solid stout feel.

My first preference is the overall look, the second preference is temperament.
Cubalaya temperament is curious and friendly without being handled much.
That being said, it depends on how the line has been bred, has it been selected for a curious and friendly disposition or has it strictly been bred for type alone? In my opinion some lines have not been selected enough for disposition and I consider that a breeder flaw.
I have had hatchery and show quality Sumatra, the show quality have been the ones with a better temperament, but it seemed that if they were ever provoked/scared whether by accident or intentially, they never "forgave" the incident whereas the Cubalaya always have, it'll take a while at times, but they become friendly and curious again.
Cubalaya love being at my feet on a regular basis and the Sumatra seemed more standoff-ish.
I am of the opinion that either breed depending on how it is raised will be either a bit flighty or calm with the Cubalaya tending to be friendly and the Sumatra standoff-ish.
In hand, as adults Cubalaya are more solid than they appear and Sumatra are less solid than they appear. I like the solid stout feel.
I like that feel too.

Back
Top Bottom