cuckoo maran egg color

okey thanks, maybe I should just allow my old rooster to live for little bit longer and let him mate with my new hens, that way I would choose hens that lay dark eggs and then get rooster from them, that way I wouldn't be using brother and sister but a mother and son (saw that was okey to use mother and son and someone mentioned that here also in the first comment).
or I could take a rooster from the egg that are in the incubator now that are from my only cuckoo maran hen, that are only 4 eggs from her there so I will probably get weary few hens, haha
but that way he would be only related to his mom and yes if I would get a hen he would be related to her to but I would just not use him with that hen, he would of cause be a mix tho because his mom is a mix but she lays dark eggs and his dad is a purbreed and I'm only using this breed for myself, I'm not selling chicks or anything so maybe it would be okey :)

these information have been really help full to me and now I will just decide what to do, maybe I fall in love with some rooster that comes from the eggs from my hen, the eggs from my hen should hatch out after 12 days, I'm so exited :celebrate

Visit the marans of America website and click their 2 pen spiral breeding program. If you follow their plan after 5 generations of a inbreeding there will only be 16% inbred. This is for breeding chickens to a closer SOP, don't know if it is applicable to eggs shell color.

so I own 1 cuckoo maran rooster and 1 cuckoo maran hen.
so this summer I'm getting some cuckoo maran fertile eggs from a man that lives near me, but any way, he only owns 2 cuckoo maran hens and one of them lays brown egg like mine does and one lays light colored egg.
now because my rooster is getting older I'm going to keep one rooster that comes from the eggs and I'm going to try to keep a rooster that gives dark eggs, but how do I do that?
he is not sure what color his rooster gives so if I take a rooster that came from an egg that was dark I could maybe end up with a rooster that gives light egg because he doesn't know what he gives.

it's not like I can find someone else to sell me a rooster because I live in Iceland and there so few people that own this breed here.
I talked to my old breeder and she had to quit breeding this breed last year because she couldn't find a rooster and he old rooster was to related to her hens.
so I went on a icelandic chicken grubbe and asked if some one could sell me some fertile egg and no one anweard, but few weeks later I get a massage on Facebook from a man that I have gotten chickens from before saying that he owns 2 hens and one rooster and he could sell me eggs if I want

so really, he's the only one that I have found that is left owning this breed her in Iceland but hopefully thats not true because I love this breed

so I ask here is there any way to see what color eggs a rooster gives? , some people say you can see it on there comb or earlobes of some breeds, is it possible to see it on this breed to? or is it no way to tell?
I hope I won't end up with alot of light laying cuckoo marans (it's cool to own few) but I want the dark color more and I own few different breeds because I love the different colored eggs

here is picture of my cuckoo maran eggs, not really that dark tho but still a pretty nice and beautiful dark color tho, tho other eggs on the picture are from my icelandic hens (the white and cream eggs) and the green egg from my easter egger :)

According to 2 different shades of egg color, i believe he has 1 marans and one barred rock, 90% of people cant see the difference between the 2

Use the color of the 1st 20 eggs a Pullet lays as a color scale for what shade she is capable of laying.
Best,
Karen

Use the color of the 1st 20 eggs a Pullet lays as a color scale for what shade she is capable of laying.
Best,
Karen
I thought it was specifically supposed to be NOT considered capability UNTIL the 20th egg, which is when they should have their hiccups worked out and considered laying "regularly"... and therefor count egg 20 as your actual shade. :confused:

I have a blue copper girl who just started laying and her first several eggs were.. I wouldn't exactly say super dark, I mean they were but you could tell the pigment was all wacked and there was no uniformity to it. Maybe like it was blotted on.

My girls do sometimes have those big verses tiny speckles sometimes. it's entertaining to get such a variety out of the same hen!

I guess I'm OK on egg color... I gotta work out that funky pinky toe from my stock. :barnie (You wouldn't believe the escapade I just went on just now when I googled "pinky" since the spell check says I have it wrong! :p)

What I don't get is this... :oops: Ok I understand an SOP... But, if someone breeds together say a buff Ameraucana and a silver Ameraucana.. even though they don't meet the SOP doesn't make them not Ameraucana. And how does a pure bred Marans (specifically the black copper, since I don't know the others' SOP), suddenly become NOT a Marans just because her egg color is poor according to the standard? Seems like some stupid politics to me. :rant

Even though when I breed, I prefer to adhere to the standard.. if it's not just fun projects. :D

According to 2 different shades of egg color, i believe he has 1 marans and one barred rock, 90% of people cant see the difference between the 2
I had to go back and read to see what you were even talking about... But, you make a VERY good point! :thumbsup

If one were not a "breeder" ( or knowledgeable), it could be an easy mistake to make. Some people can't even tell the different between a Dominique & barred Rock. :)

I thought it was specifically supposed to be NOT considered capability UNTIL the 20th egg, which is when they should have their hiccups worked out and considered laying "regularly"... and therefor count egg 20 as your actual shade. :confused:

I have a blue copper girl who just started laying and her first several eggs were.. I wouldn't exactly say super dark, I mean they were but you could tell the pigment was all wacked and there was no uniformity to it. Maybe like it was blotted on.

My girls do sometimes have those big verses tiny speckles sometimes. it's entertaining to get such a variety out of the same hen!

I guess I'm OK on egg color... I gotta work out that funky pinky toe from my stock. :barnie (You wouldn't believe the escapade I just went on just now when I googled "pinky" since the spell check says I have it wrong! :p)

What I don't get is this... :oops: Ok I understand an SOP... But, if someone breeds together say a buff Ameraucana and a silver Ameraucana.. even though they don't meet the SOP doesn't make them not Ameraucana. And how does a pure bred Marans (specifically the black copper, since I don't know the others' SOP), suddenly become NOT a Marans just because her egg color is poor according to the standard? Seems like some stupid politics to me. :rant

Even though when I breed, I prefer to adhere to the standard.. if it's not just fun projects. :D

I had to go back and read to see what you were even talking about... But, you make a VERY good point! :thumbsup

If one were not a "breeder" ( or knowledgeable), it could be an easy mistake to make. Some people can't even tell the different between a Dominique & barred Rock. :)

True, i studied the dom and barred rock extensively to determine sex at 1 day old, my studies resulted in the difference of comb. which is the first factor i look for even though some pure dom chicks can have a single comb but i don't call them Dom. i put them in my common pen with my layers, i have a pure dom flock, FBCM flock, CooCoo marans flock, BLRW,SLW, CCL,Choc orp. RIR, Cornish and then others of my development. such as OEs.EEs, CCL X Cornish, Blue CM X Cornish, CCL X WL(my avatar) IE safire f2.:caf and that is just chickens, also have royal palm turkey, african grey geese, guineas, ring neck pheasants, pharaoh quail and Muscovy. over run with feathers:bow, some one save me please

some pure dom chicks can have a single comb but i don't call them Dom.
It is said that breeding ALL rose combs is breeding out you fertility. Hence the reason so many are getting GLW and SLW from feed stores that have straight combs. Maybe why you are seeing some Dom with a straight comb. Not sure I would be able to tell that one apart! :)

Back
Top Bottom