Cuckoo Maran or Barred Rock?

This is the other hen Freckles. (The middle hen, speckled) She always looks pissed, but if Dots face “doesn’t look quite right” for a marans do you feel the same way about Freckles?

Attachments

• 9276F602-2E7A-43B8-B31E-A0304D84DD06.jpeg
    9276F602-2E7A-43B8-B31E-A0304D84DD06.jpeg
    469.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
HOW DID YOU GET THAT????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(I'm calm, totally not freaking out) :caf
On the inside :eek:
I got really lucky is how lol. He was a re-home situation. My rooster Kyle is an English Lavender Orpington, but a brooder injury left him 50% blind and he has no rooster instinct and no drive to mate. So I’ve been keeping my eyes peeled for an ELO rooster to well, be a rooster. The lady who had Kenny (the cuckoo orp) had three brothers that she kept in her petting zoo last year. She had NO idea how rare their coloring was. Apparently he originally came from a breeder that she no longer has contact with.
I got VERY lucky. Kenny integrated into my small flock perfectly and allows Kyle to keep his side job as the village idiot while Kenny fusses over the hens.
Kyle spends his evenings in the house being hand fed and loved while Kenny holds down the fort.

Attachments

• A0B1EA29-2982-46DF-B7A2-FE0552B153C4.jpeg
    A0B1EA29-2982-46DF-B7A2-FE0552B153C4.jpeg
    503.3 KB · Views: 11
My husband bought me two mature hens and the lady just called them sex links.
At first I thought they looked like barred rock or barred mixes, but I’ve recently been learning about cuckoo marans and I’m wondering if that might be more accurate for these girls. What do you think?

(The three darkest eggs in the carton belong

My husband bought me two mature hens and the lady just called them sex links.
At first I thought they looked like barred rock or barred mixes, but I’ve recently been learning about cuckoo marans and I’m wondering if that might be more accurate for these girls. What do you think?

(The three darkest eggs in the carton belong to the hen in the picture)
Looks like a cuckoo marans. Very poor quality unfortunately

Shes a hatchery/pet quailty cuckoo Marans. Results from breeding to your lavender cuckoo rooster will depend if he has a single copy or two copies of the barring gene.
If he has two copies all chicks will be cuckoo split to lavender, males having two copies of the barring gene.
If he has one copy all cockerels will be cuckoo (one or two copies) split lavender and pullets will be cuckoo split lavender or black split lavender

The girls appear to be typical/hatchery-quality Cuckoo Marans. When they were first imported to the US we brought in French bloodlines (feathered legs) and bloodlines from the UK (clean legged). As time has passed the French standard became the standard the APA wanted. The color of those eggs are pretty typical of Cuckoo Marans, at least the ones I had fifteen plus years ago. Some of them laid darker, but more work has gone into the other color varieties of Marans and Cuckoos have kind of fallen by the wayside.

Clean-legged Cuckoo Marans (Fugate Line).jpg
Clean-legged Cuckoo Marans.jpg
Cuckoo Marans Pair (Clean Legged).jpg

Breeding you Lavender Cuckoo Orpington over them will yield all Black Cuckoo offspring that carry a Lavender gene. Those pullets bred back to their father will produce 50% Lavender Cuckoo and 50% Cuckoo/Lavender Cuckoo. Egg color will get progressively lighter each generation the more times the female progeny are bred back to the bloodline sire.

Ok this hurt my feelings lol. What’s wrong with them? I think they’re lovely.
Don’t be upset, it just means they aren’t the highest quality. Low quality doesn’t make a bird any less beautiful or sweet, it just doesn’t meet the usual standards of the breed. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom