Cuckoo Maran Rooster x (breed here) offspring?

Yes, Marans are their own breed, Cuckoo is just a variety Marans, ( there are also Black Copper, Black, Blue, Wheaten, etc, if you have one with feathered leggs, I think that would be good, I think cuckoos with feathered leggs are kinda rare, since cuckoos are sold by hatcheries and most hatchery Marans don't have feathered leg, so he shouldn't be mixed, most people want their Marans to have feathered leggs. I have 5 Black Copper Marans and 1 young Cuckoo, 1 of the BCs and the cuckoo don't have feathered leggs, but they are all still marans.

Where did you get him from? Cuckoo Marans should have blurred Barring, white leggs, and like I said, may or may not have feathered leggs, depending on how they are bred. But since the dark egg color is what "SELLS" a lot of people put the physical characteristics aside and just breed for dark eggs, some don't even worry about the egg color and just breed what they have.

Do you have pics of your roo?

I got my Cuckoo Maran from a lady who was trying to get rid of male chickens at a poultry show this past weekend. I did take some pictures of him, but I haven't been able to find the cable that connects my camera to the computer. I found this picture on Google that looks very similar to him, except the Google picture doesn't show feathered legs. And lol, the pic if from BYC:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/23722_hot_weather_015.jpg

And yes, my Cuckoo Maran has white legs.

I'm not really good with all this genetic stuff...so what would happen if you have two different breed roosters, and they both breed the same pullet/hen and then she had chicks? Would the batch of chicks be split up between breeds? For example, I have my Cuckoo Maran cockerel, but I also would like to get an Australorp cockerel/rooster. If both males bred with one of my Australorp hens and she had chicks, what would the offspring turn out to be?

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep, the one you posted is a Cuckoo Marans.

And if you bred a Cuckoo Marans rooster and a Black Australorp roo to the same hen, she could produce ofspring from each roo in the same clutch, you could get some pure BAs and some crosses, that would be cuckoo colored.

Alright, thank you. lol, sorry but I just thought up another question! If I bred a white Jersey Giant with a black Jersey Giant would their offspring be either white or black or could there be a possibility of gray?

Quote:
LOL, no they wouldn't be grey but I don't know what kind of white the White Giants carry so I can't tell you for sure, but I would think, that since whites wre originally sports from the blacks, I would think you would get blacks.

Darn! That would've been cool! lol, there's proof that I don't know that much about genetics. Even you loled xD! Okay, this I do know...and please clarify for me. If you breed two purebreds of different breeds then the offspring would be half and half, correct?

That is correct, for example your cuckoo Marans roo on the Australorp hens would give mixed chicks that are half BA and half CM.

And the grey Giant you mentioned, would be simialar to Blue Giants, have you ever seen them? They started from an off white colored sport from Black Giants that was bred back to blacks and eventually produced the Blue Giants.

If you breed blues to blues you will get 50% blue, 25% black, and 25% splash

Black to Blue = 50% blues, 50% Blacks

Black to Splash = 100% Blues

Blue to Splash = 50% blues and 50% splash

And that works with any Blue or Blue Patterned breed.

Wow, you're like awesome at determining all of this! In the past I've just let my hens hatch whatever chicks. But lately I've decided that I would like to raise the same breed and see what their offspring would look like. Here's another one for you, lol! Sorry if you're annoyed! Do the parents' sizes have anything to do with the offspring's? I'm sure it does, but like...if I bred one large parent with another, would the offspring come out a size between them?

Are two talking about breeding two standard breeds together or like a standard breed with a bantam breed?

If you're meaning like a really large breed like the Giants with a medium large breed like the Australorps, I haven't really had any experience with that but I would say that they would be inbetween the two, but hybrid vigor may make them a bit larger too, I can't say for sure.

But I can tell you that I had a large Barred Rock X RIR crossed roo that bred a small silkie mix bantam hen and one of the hens that hatched from them, my aunt now has, she is medium/large sixed, just a little smaller than the pure RIR and Dominique hen that she is penned with.

Oh and no, I am not annoyed at all, I love to help whenever I can.

Last edited:
Thank you! I was referring more to the standard breeds, but I'm sure somewhere down the line I would've wanted to know about standard x bantam crosses. You just beat me to it! The reason I had asked this previous question is because I'm thinking of getting an Australorp rooster from someone and breeding him to my Australorp hens. I'm eager to see how the chicks would turn out! The only time I've ever successfully bred chickens and got to see their offspring was when I bred a standard Silver Duckwing rooster with one of my Australorp hens. Their offspring, which was two males (she sat on three eggs), turned out looking like twins, except the color pattern on their toes was slightly different! They looked like Silver Duckwings, except they had a lot more black to them. I wasn't concentrating on breeding and all that stuff, this was years ago, but I now realize where genentics kicked in there. I never did find out the breed of that rooster...

I guess, even though you did answer me, I'm trying to figure out is if I should get a large Australorp rooster or a regular size one. And if I should breed him with a regular size Australorp, or one of my bigger ones. I saw some Australorp roosters at a poultry show this past weekend that were HUGE! I think it'd be awesome to have one that size!! One person left their phone number on a little note of the rooster's cage asking if they could pay for AI from him.

Back
Top Bottom