Cuckoo Marans crosses with...

Stefrrr

Songster
May 25, 2020
Olympia, Washington
Hello! I have a cuckoo Marans cockerel and a few hens. I’m wondering what would happen if I incubate eggs from any potential crosses in my flock. Has anyone here crossed a cuckoo Marans rooster with any of the following breeds? Any photos? Any sex links?
X gold laced Wyandotte
X barred rock
X buff Orpington

Not sure, I normally just incubate the eggs without bothering to check for the breeds. I've hatched some really cool looking mixed breeds though!
I knew someone with a roo who was a barred rock crossed with a buff orp, and he was a pretty cool roo.
I would say just try crossing them and see what you get. I love to do that, and would be hatching chicks right now if my hens would cooperate and start laying again.

Hello! I have a cuckoo Marans cockerel and a few hens. I’m wondering what would happen if I incubate eggs from any potential crosses in my flock. Has anyone here crossed a cuckoo Marans rooster with any of the following breeds? Any photos? Any sex links?
X gold laced Wyandotte
X barred rock
X buff Orpington

Cuckoo Marans cockerel: will not produce either of the two kinds of color-based sexlinks (barred/not barred, gold/silver.)

With those crosses, you'll get lots of black chicks with white barring on their feathers.

The Rock and Orpington mothers will produce chicks with single combs, the Wyandotte mother may produce some rose comb chicks but may also produce some with single combs (depends on the genetics of the particular Wyandotte.)

With pure Cuckoo Marans or Barred Rocks, the males are lighter than the females. That will also happen when you cross those two breeds.

Cuckoo Marans crossed with not-barred chickens (Gold Laced Wyandotte, Buff Orpington) will produce dark-barred chicks of both genders. They may have some gold or red feathers as they grow up.

So light-barred chicks are certain to be roosters, and to have the Barred Rock mother. Dark-barred chicks could be either gender and could have any of the breeds as mother.

Cuckoo Marans cockerel: will not produce either of the two kinds of color-based sexlinks (barred/not barred, gold/silver.)

With those crosses, you'll get lots of black chicks with white barring on their feathers.

The Rock and Orpington mothers will produce chicks with single combs, the Wyandotte mother may produce some rose comb chicks but may also produce some with single combs (depends on the genetics of the particular Wyandotte.)

With pure Cuckoo Marans or Barred Rocks, the males are lighter than the females. That will also happen when you cross those two breeds.

Cuckoo Marans crossed with not-barred chickens (Gold Laced Wyandotte, Buff Orpington) will produce dark-barred chicks of both genders. They may have some gold or red feathers as they grow up.

So light-barred chicks are certain to be roosters, and to have the Barred Rock mother. Dark-barred chicks could be either gender and could have any of the breeds as mother.
Thanks! That’s helpful information! I plan to replenish my flock from the cuckoo Marans hens, although it might be interesting to see what happens with the others. Maybe some olive eggers from the Marans crossed with my Easter eggers. I’m glad the Marans cockerel is working out, because the Marans hens are just the sweetest, and I love the color of their eggs.

Back
Top Bottom