Cuckoo Marans hen bred to Self Blue Ameraucana Rooster What Color will their chicks eggs be?

Shellybob

Songster
Mar 30, 2020
Just wondering if the chicks that hatch from these eggs will be olive eggers or does the hen have to be the Ameraucana bred to the marans Roo?

The egg color will be the same if you do:

Ameraucana hen x Marans Rooster as it would be if you did
Marans hen x Ameraucana rooster

However the first cross (Ameraucana hen x Cuckoo Marans rooster) , all of the chicks will be barred with no linkage to gender,

But the second cross (Cuckoo Marans Hen x Ameraucana rooster) the males will be barred and the females will be solid.

Regardless of the way you flip the cross all the offspring will be split to lav.

Last edited:
I think that the offspring are going to be olive eggers! And do you have any pics of your rooster?
He is not the most handsome fella but, the sweetest! The girls pluck all his muff and neck feathers. Lol

Attachments

• 9E943C23-4076-42A9-AC30-42FAE8BA409A.png
    9E943C23-4076-42A9-AC30-42FAE8BA409A.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
See the messed-up comb and yellow in his feathers? He is not purebred. But you will get OEs from him, yes.
That’s exactly what I needed to know! Thank you! My friend lost her flock to a predator and we threw the eggs from my hens that have been with him in the bator!

The egg color will be the same if you do:

Ameraucana hen x Marans Rooster as it would be if you did
Marans hen x Ameraucana rooster
I agree.

However the first cross (Ameraucana hen x Cuckoo Marans rooster) , ~50% of the chicks will be barred with no linkage to gender,
If the rooster is pure for barring, then ALL chicks should be barred (not 50%).

But the second cross (Cuckoo Marans Hen x Ameraucana rooster) the males will be barred and the females will be solid.

Regardless of the way you flip the cross all the offspring will be split to lav.
Yes, correct on both points.

Back
Top Bottom