Cuckoo marans

The hen you are looking at is a fully MATURE adult that is laying. Your chicks are babies, there's no comparing the two. The onlyreason that a female chicken would have a red comb and wattle set is if she is mature and laying. However, male chickens redden up very very very early (I've had one that started to grow and redden at week 3). It's a very telltale sign of gender.

Here is a picture of a hen that is MUCH older than your babies, but not mature or laying yet. Even at several months of age, a female chicken will have a pale and undeveloped comb. In a few months, when she IS mature, she'll rapidly grow her comb and wattle in a matter of weeks. But not until she's fertile and mature.

They are growing more and I think I noticed a difference starting to happen. One chick is darker than the other two, and its tail feathers are not as pronounced. They all have the waddle and crown, but the one that is different is not the same color as the other two. I know it could be just wishful thinking that maybe I got one pullet.
Any thoughts?? I have read that the cockerels are more showy with brighter plumage and larger overall than the pullets.

sorry 100 percent roos :/ my pullet is almost POL (point of lay) and still doesn't have a comb that big!! I can see hackles coming in too, sorry :(

All Roos I have a 3 year old cuckoo maran and here comb and wattles look about the same as your chicks

Yeah, too bad. They will be dropped off at our local co-op tomorrow. One of the owners takes all the roosters he can get,

I have 6 more coming in April. 3 cuckoo marans and 3 buff orpingtons. All pullets!

Just had one of my EE die from a hawk attack yesterday! Sad to see her dead.
hit.gif

I have 4 18 week old Cuckoo Marans. Two dark and two light. Was very worried about the two light being roosters until we took them back to where we got them ( they take roos back) and they physically examined them. He told me that he used to cull the light ones automatically until he started doing the physicals. Apparently he gets dark and light pullets.

That being said, I once read a quote here on BYC from someone that said " It's a roo until it lays an egg!" and that's what I am really going with! Because the more I look at one of them the more I think he was wrong, two fingers between the pelvic bone or not :lol:

Oh also, mine are clean legged with what looks like grey/blue shanks to me ( all four)but I guess technically are white. I am on my Nook or I'd post pictures. I have some in my profile if anyone wants to look before I get to my actual computer. :)

Very sorry audioguy to hear about your EE :(

Last edited:
I guess from what everyone has said, based on the pictures I've posted, they are all roos. Stinks, cause the guy we got them from could not determine the sex and they were not sex linked. I still think one is a pullet based on the coloring and the tail feathers not being as pronounced as the other two.
I found a home for them at the local Agway where I buy my food and supplies. The guy there either uses them to mate or eats them, not sure. Either way we are not allowed roosters where we live so they have to go.
I am going to ask him about the questionable cockerel and see what he says.

Stinks losing a bird. Its two in a last month. One died from being egg bound, the other a hawk did her in.

If anyone in Northeast Mississippi is in need of a cuckoo maran roo, let me know. I have 4 extras that need a home.

Back
Top Bottom