Cuckoo silkie

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dani xxx, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Dani xxx

Dani xxx Songster

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    IMG_20190619_101651.jpg hi I got this cuckoo silkie in march ment to be a hen she was ment to be 5 1/2 months so she is about 8 months now. She had a bad sinus infection and is still on abs now but doing better. She hasn't laid any eggs but hasn't crowed either. The reddish coloration is a new thing. The breeder wasn't sure so did say I could bring it back if did turn out to be rooster. The gold splash silkie is same age and has been laying eggs since I got her IMG_20190619_101703.jpg IMG_20190619_110720.jpg IMG_20190619_110540.jpg IMG_20190619_110451.jpg
    What do you guys think of sprout a hen that is just not laying due to illness or a rooster starting to mature?

Gilded Feather likes this.
  2. AMERAUCANAS4REAL

AMERAUCANAS4REAL Crossing the Road

Nov 8, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    I need better pictures.

Gilded Feather likes this.
  3. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Free Ranging

Going to guess hen only because I had a cuckoo silkie rooster that was much more white like the pattern difference between a cuckoo or barred rooster and hen

Dani xxx and Gilded Feather like this.
  4. Gilded Feather

Gilded Feather Songster

May 21, 2019
    KY-WV line
    I’d guess pullet as well if it is truly 8 months old.

bantamsrmyfav and Dani xxx like this.
  5. Dani xxx

Dani xxx Songster

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    I really hope so cos I am really attached to her she does have pin feathers on the end of her wings still so maybe she is younger than he said. The breeder said that the roosters are lighter than the hens like u said but the redness on the comb and eye area was what worried me cos when I looked at cuckoo roosters photos all had red combs. But still only getting 1 silkie egg and 1 polish egg. I just want her to crow or lay and egg so I know for sure.

bantamsrmyfav likes this.
  6. Dani xxx

Dani xxx Songster

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    I hope so she does still have some pin feathers still on her wings which the gold splash silkie doesn't so maybe she is younger and wasn't eating great when I got her due to the illness. She is eating a lot better now always has a nice full crop now when I pick her up to clean her beak of crusty discharge. So will wait and see but I am hoping for 2 silkie eggs one afternoon and not just 1 silkie and 1 polish egg that I have been getting.

7. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    All of my other Silkies that were point of lay started laying at around 7 months. However, my cuckoo didn't lay till she was at least 10 months.

I'm not sure if it's something related to the breeding of them. I know breeders have really 'messed' around with crossing Silkies in order to achieve the cuckoo so maybe it's effected their point of lay.

The red face on a cuckoo is normal due to them not being perfected yet. Hence why they are not a recognised colour of Silkie.

I'd still say pullet, just a later layer.

IMG_9224.JPG

8. Dani xxx

Dani xxx Songster

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    Hi everyone good news she started laying on 10th July so very happy

bantamsrmyfav and Fur-N-Fowl like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: