Cuckoo Silkies- Updated Pics Page 4

I am new to keeping chickens and just got 3 beautiful bearded silkies about 4 months old- 2 calico - one has a black top hat and red markings on wings with lavender background and one is more lavender with faint buff markings on the wings the other is a lovely cuckoo bearded silkie gorgeous top hat the cuckoo seems to have a dark comb and is the most gentle shy bird- Im hoping it stays that way and that two of the 3 are hens.... i was sure that the black top calico whos' the largest was a male roo and that the lavender calico whos' the smallest was a female--- but it seems now the lil lavender seems to be very fiesty and flies up and raises what i guess are the hackle neck? feathers and challenges the others... the lavender had the flatest comb but now its getting very red... im wondering if our lila is a lil roo.... her crest isnt as rounded as the other two- the cuckoos crest is gorgeous very cuckoo like as is the black top calico but he looks like he may have the longer feathers in the back of crest which makes me think he may be a roo... any thoughts i love them all and want to keep them all so i hope they all get along since i have a small coop - I love silkies and would love to let them breed and see what comes of it... also if i did get other birds... and the silkies were older would they mess well i want3ed some easter eggers i love green and blue eggs but i thought if that didnt work maybe try for the banty sized ees any thoughts?

I just hatched my first few cuckoo's. I have been trying to read more on breeding this project color. I haven't found much, except for this thread and an article by powder puff silkies. Can anyone help me out where I can find more information?

im new to the cuckoo silkies, i have two that i hatched from eggs that i purchased. i can already tell one is a hen and the other is a rooster, the hen has lost her barring already but the rooster is very nice looking. i am wanting to breed him and have some more cuckoos, i have been reading about them but was looking for any tips. i have heard that you have to breed them with a solid color to get chick that have the barring, is this true?

No you do not have to breed to a solid color to get the barred gene chicks. From what I have researched a single barred roo x cuckoo hen gives you double cuckoo boys, single cuckoo boys, cuckoo girls and black girls. When using a double barred roo x cuckoo hen t will give you double cuckoo boys and cuckoo pullets.

is there a way you can tell weather they are singles or doubles? and do you know where anyone is selling some cuckoo chicks?

Back
Top Bottom