Cuckoo Silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rilly10, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There are two possibilities that occur. One is that he is a white from a breeding that guarantees barring. However, since no father pigment is present due to recessive white, you cannot see barring. However, the effect of barring on the skin (and comb) would remain in effect. The other possibility is "ghost barring." Try searching under that term. I don't know it well enough to explain.

1 person likes this.
  2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

So, two cuckoo silkies will produce cuckoos only?

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Not necessarily. The father has to carry two copies of the gene for that to be correct.

B​
    -
    B ​
    BB (cuckoo male with two copies) B- (cuckoo female)
    b+ ​
    Bb+ (cuckoo male with one copy) b+-(not-cuckoo female)

4. chillipepper55

chillipepper55 In the Brooder

Jan 24, 2012
    like to join in on the cuckoo colour have bred a cuckoo to all my silkie blacks and so far have 5 in the cuckoo colour would you breed the chicks that are,nt the cuckoo colour but by him back to him or roosters by him? Think i have 3 pullets and 2 roosters so far,1 pullet is really pretty, thanks for any info, Gina

5. henney penny

henney penny Songster

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Have a queston about the pink comb in the cuckoo silkie.I know if the chicks are cuckoo they will have the pink comb but in the same hatch if the others a born blue or black or any other color will there combs be pink to?I just got the pink color out of my flock and don`t want it back.

6. 3ChickensinNC

3ChickensinNC Chirping

Feb 21, 2012
    on the coast
    I am interested on the cuckoo silkies so wanted to subscribe.

7. chillipepper55

Jan 24, 2012
    Hi original posties ,we need some help here on this thread please !!!!!!!

8. chillipepper55

Jan 24, 2012
    i have,nt seen any pink combs in any of my other colors by my cuckoo rooster ,blues ,blacksseen light feathers on their feet,wanted to know if i bred them back to a cuckoo would i get cuckoo,can anyone help

9. aarronh

aarronh Songster

May 2, 2010
    Meadville, PA
  10. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    how is the project going? have you broken the Id(dermal inhibitor) B(Barring) link yet?.. this will allow for dark skin and shanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: