Cuckoo Silkies?

I think the fact that the barring dilutes the skin makes it all the more important to breed back to black... I have found that the roosters tend to have redder combs then the hens. This may be just because the comb grows larger.

I think the fact that the barring dilutes the skin makes it all the more important to breed back to black... I have found that the roosters tend to have redder combs then the hens. This may be just because the comb grows larger.
breeding back to black would acomplish nothing more than it has already been acomplished. Breeding back to "White Silkies" should be the game changer, do it and post pics of the progeny

breeding back to black would acomplish nothing more than it has already been acomplished. Breeding back to "White Silkies" should be the game changer, do it and post pics of the progeny

Would breeding back to white change the cuckoo - mix in what is hiding under that recessive white ? like red, silver in hackles.... possibly more ?

Last edited:
Would breeding back to white change the cuckoo - mix in what is hiding under that recessive white ? like red, silver in hackles.... possibly more ?

Breeding back to white can definitely show what's hiding under the recessive white. Here are a few examples...

Gray Cuckoo Silkie Hen

Gray Cuckoo Silkie Roo

Partridge Cuckoo Silkie Pullets

Partridge Cuckoo Silkie Roo

Last edited:
Breeding back to white can definitely show what's hiding under the recessive white.   Here are a few examples...

Ahh...that is what I though would be the results. I wonder, if we ever singled out the Id(dermal inhibitor) how long it might take to get back to clear barring without losing the Id again... :/

Ahh...that is what I though would be the results. I wonder, if we ever singled out the Id(dermal inhibitor) how long it might take to get back to clear barring without losing the Id again...
hmm.png
you mean without loosing id+ again(id+ allows for black skin/face) some barred/cuckoo silkie lines have obtain clear barring and black skin hens. the issue is with the boys. they just dont show black face yet... that issue is with the Barring gene on itself. so what we need is a Barring gene inhibitor..

progress has been made..

some hens showed pink skins before

Now with Black skin(thanks to id+)

now check this nice cuckoo hen(good pattern) but it has pink skin and clear shanks(thanks to Id)

this is what I call progress.

Back
Top Bottom