Cull or try? Advice please.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ady Road Chicks, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Ady Road Chicks

Ady Road Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2009
    This morning I let the chickens out and about an hour later a fox came by. Can't find some of the girls, some are dead, one is injured. The injured one is the one I am asking for advice about. She is less than 2 years old. She was just starting to grow her feathers back in on her back. (The rooster was a bit too amorous.) and then she sat on eggs and hatched out 4 babies. So she has been out and about for the last 3 weeks or so. Her back has a bit of blood in some spots but nothing that looks like it even needs attention, just some superficial scrapes. The big problem is her left leg. The foot is turned over, like she is trying to walk on the top of her foot. She can't walk well at all. She seems fine except for the foot/leg injury. She was being very loud and calling for her babies. She sounds very strong. I have her seperated in the chicken hospital cage with food and water and she is in the garage. Everyone else is locked in the coop. Is a broken leg/foot something I can treat? Is it more humane to cull her rather than try? Any advice, no matter what it may be, is welcome. Thank you.

2. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    Not that I know much, but it sounds like she is strong. I would try to help her recover.

3. Pretty Birdie

Pretty Birdie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Definitely try to help her recover. Something you can try is a mix half saline and half aloe vera juice, and a few drops of colloidal silver and lavender. Gently spray a little bit on the wound every morning and night. Hope this helps!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  4. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    In the Storey's guide to raising chickens it talks about ways to splint a broken foot or leg. May want to get a copy. It is a very good book for anyone who has chickens.

5. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    I would say splint the foot and give her some baby aspirin for pain. Keep the wounds clean, like you would do your own. Give her some scrambled eggs for extra calories. Good luck!!

6. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by