Culled rooster: Liver hard, grey, with tiny yellowish spots.

Thanks for this.
The liver didn't look anything like the trichamoniasis. Good thing, that, I suppose.

The histomoniasis is a maybe? But the ceca and intestines in the photos there are in much worse shape than Bob's were. Also the liver infarcts in histomoniasis are "usually" 1-2 cm, whereas the spots on Bob's liver were much smaller. Around 1mm.

Quote:
They should look at the pictures for free.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

And this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1016824/turkey-inflamed-intestine#post_15805192

Both of those are what I'm used to seeing in birds of mine with blackhead.

-Kathy
The blackhead photos look remarkably different from what Bob's liver and ceca did. I think I can confidently say it's not blackhead.

I've talked to the two people I can contact who I've given other hens from my flock. All of them are Bob's progeny, and none are showing any signs of any illnesses at all. They might as they age, but at this point everyone's still just fine. So is our dog.

I'm going to email the photo to the state vet today, but at this point I think everything's leaning toward Bob having had some defect in his hepatic system from day one.

I haven't given the meat to our friend yet, but he's an old country boy and, knowing the situation, he is still willing to make jambalaya out of him. Just as long as I package the bird in single serving frozen packets.

Back
Top Bottom