Culling a 6 week old chick?

I know me people gas their birds, I usually take an ax to mine. Quick and easy.
Sorry you have to cull it.

Humane for you, or the bird?
Cutting it's head off quickly with an axe or very sharp pruning shears is best for the bird.
Cervical dislocation with a broomstick, or your hands, trickier but quickest.
You have my empathy, hardest part of chickeneering.

Here are the many ways to euthanize a small animal. http://www.verlannahill.com/Euthanasia.htm Choose one that fits your temperament and needs.

I choose di-ethyl ether (engine starting fluid) I select a comfortable seat outdoors since this stuff is very flammable. I have the can and a wash cloth ready. I am cradling my sick chicken, give them some last cuddling and talk to them calmly. They are relaxed in my lap while I wet the cloth thoroughly, then I hold the saturated wash cloth over their head and face, careful not to let any oxygen enter under the rag.

They are asleep in seconds, dead in a minute.

I usually prefer to share this info in a PM as I don't want to trigger debates. There are no ideal methods to kill your favorite chicken. Each person must make their own decision how to euthanize.

Thanks. I have a second chick that fell ill last night. I can't believe I may have to do this twice :-(

Hello, haven’t posted in quite sometime. I had to rehome my chickens so we could move out of state. But I have chicks now. My oldest one are about 8 weeks. One of my roosters is very large and doesn’t move around well and I’m thinking he had splay foot and I missed it. He moved around fine and looked normal as a young chick but the last few weeks he is always laying down or roosting. And he walks slow and crooked. I’m not sure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom