culling chicks

ViciousAlice

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
I have 2 little button that hatched out over the weekend that have splayed legs the poor things can hardly get around, how does everyone put theirs out of their misery? I was told to just pop them in the freezer, they're so small that they'll die quickly. what do you all think?

Here are a couple of pics

DSC_0226.JPG

DSC_0234.JPG

Those aren't that bad really, try putting them on a fluffy washcloth or towel for a few days and see if that doesn't help. The shelf liner is still too slick in my opinion.

I have a chick who had splayed legs and toes were curled under. We tied embroidery thread around the legs to pull them in and put clear tape in it's toes to straighten them out. We then cut a small piece of self liner on the bottom of it's feet to keep it from sliding. It worked and it is running around the yard with everyone else. I would at least give it a try.

Quote:
I wouldn't use string of any kind to fix legs, it could possibly cut into the skin creating an entirely different problem. Button chicks are very hard to band-aid, but it is possible. They look to me like they need some extra footing to get their legs straightened out
smile.png

Well I tried the bandaids a couple hours ago and switched to fleece in the bottom on the tank. they are already walking with the bandaids. Thanks for all of your help, I really didnt want to cull them, they are just too cute
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom