Culling males

rsb911411

Chirping
Mar 24, 2018
I have found I have too many male buttons and need to cull some as I have tried to sell them but can’t. Any ideas how to do this and not waste their lives? My cage is turning bloody and I need to fix it.

Well um am I going to get in trouble for saying to have a nice dinner? I don’t raise buttons I don’t know how much meat they have, but we raise Coturnix...and I have culled males

This is the main thing deterring me from raising buttons. Cots are easy because it’s worth it to butcher. I can’t see buttons being much of a meal. Can you sell them as reptile or dog food perhaps?

So they are too small? Can you cull like 4 for 2 people maybe? I’ve never had them... so I am guessing here. I culled two a few weeks ago one for each of us and had a bunch of sides and I was completely full omg lol (but like I said those were Coturnix)

I stuffed them with cheese and jalapeños and wrapped them in bacon so it was a big meal. But with buttons I have no idea, you could try?

So they are too small? Can you cull like 4 for 2 people maybe? I’ve never had them... so I am guessing here. I culled two a few weeks ago one for each of us and had a bunch of sides and I was completely full omg lol (but like I said those were Coturnix)

I stuffed them with cheese and jalapeños and wrapped them in bacon so it was a big meal. But with buttons I have no idea, you could try?

If they had enough meat on them I would, but they are tiny, like barely the size of a fist and pretty thin. I don’t see them being enough for the trouble unfortunately.

Full grown male button quail and immature female corturnix ( not my photo)

Attachments

• 097435DE-5675-4B40-ACFA-E755E3F9D12A.jpeg
    097435DE-5675-4B40-ACFA-E755E3F9D12A.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 24
This is the main thing deterring me from raising buttons. Cots are easy because it’s worth it to butcher. I can’t see buttons being much of a meal. Can you sell them as reptile or dog food perhaps?

Its starting to deter me too. I love my buttons, but I found them to be like potato chips because there is such a variety. Most of my hatches have been male though and I just couldn’t find homes foe them. I am having to learn restraint in all my birds lol

Full grown male button quail and immature female corturnix ( not my photo)
Wow that IS a big difference LOL I’ve always known in the back of my mind I did not want to raise buttons because of the size but I actually never looked into it because I fell in love with the Coturnix so I just kept on keeping on with them...

But yes they are very small.

Is there any place like ok well school is out for now but maybe someone would like them as pets? Free to a good home only? Kids? Are they good with kids? lol!

Back
Top Bottom