Cup o' Joe and Tea Too

ValerieJ

Pampered Peepers Farm
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2016
Washington State
Henrietta Brown must not like her nesting box... she keeps taking the eggs out and scattering all the bedding.. What to do?
Where do the eggs go? Are the nesting boxes elevated? All my girls scatter the bedding in the nesting box. I used to put straw in them so they could make little nests, but the straw gets my hay fever going. But, you're making me think. Maybe they would like the straw back. 🤔 Pine shavings don't make nests as well.

CSolis

Crowing
May 17, 2020
Red Level, AL
Where do the eggs go? Are the nesting boxes elevated? All my girls scatter the bedding in the nesting box. I used to put straw in them so they could make little nests, but the straw gets my hay fever going. But, you're making me think. Maybe they would like the straw back. 🤔 Pine shavings don't make nests as well.
The nesting box is inside the little open coop that she and Charlie share. I've seen her sitting in the nesting box arranging the hay that's in there while waiting on an egg to drop.. I wonder if Charlie is jealous and doing the damage. He sits outside the nesting box waiting for her to finish so they can go back out to 'play'.

ValerieJ

Pampered Peepers Farm
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2016
Washington State
The nesting box is inside the little open coop that she and Charlie share. I've seen her sitting in the nesting box arranging the hay that's in there while waiting on an egg to drop.. I wonder if Charlie is jealous and doing the damage. He sits outside the nesting box waiting for her to finish so they can go back out to 'play'.
No, I think Charlie is guarding her so she can lay an egg. When she pushes the eggs out, does she then leave them, or are they breaking and eating them? I'm assuming she gets plenty of oyster shell, and there is enough protein in her feed.

CSolis

Crowing
May 17, 2020
Red Level, AL
That is so interesting. I have no idea why she is doing that. But, that is a sweet rooster who sits there and guards her while she is laying.
Guess that coop will be my next 'project'. I need to enclose it, and build in a proper nesting box. It was an old dog house I elevated to make into a 'barn of bairns' for little ones, but since then I worked on two hoop coops for the youngin's to grow up in. I can only get so much done in a day (or two or three or... ).. rofl.

Top Bottom