Cup o' Joe and Tea Too

That's definitely chilly, Riv!

I always think I'd rather have the snow than the rain, Debby, because it's easier on the chickens, but then I remember how those cold temps freeze my fingers right through the gloves.

I want the weather I left in So Cal and the foliage and view I have here. :lol:

It is a shame we can't have our cake and eat it too.

I made thread earlier about breed recommendations but I wanted to ask you all if you have any personal experience/suggestions on docile/friendly, good laying breeds. I am going to order my first backyard flock here soon :love Looking at getting 6-8 chicks. They will be used for eggs (mainly) but I would love for them to be family pets as well!

Also, I want a mixed breed flock. Are there certain breeds that are more compatible than others?

Rei

I have all Isa Browns, which I think are sex linked, they are wonderful birds, lay good, very picky, sometimes one will fly upon my shoulder as I am cleaning in the coop/or harvesting eggs, very hard to pick up, and have REAL personalities.

That is so sweet:love I would love for them to follow me around and/or ride on my shoulder! I agree a lot depends on how much time you spend with them. I feel like that's a great rule of thumb for any animal.

Yes, i feel like everyone has their "favorites" :D:D Have you had any problems with the RIRs in mixed breed flocks?

I never had a problem with my RIR's not getting along with the other breeds in my mixed flock (Barred Rocks, Black Australorps, SS, red sex links, EE's). But I have heard others say that.

Actually, the absolute worst behaved chickens I've ever had were the BA's...which is funny, everyone else seems to love them. Mine were nasty tempered, picked on all the other birds and one was a non-stop broody. I finally gave them to someone that said they could work with them because they were so much more experienced than I was. When I went to her place a few months later, the BA's were segregated from her flock because they were mean.:lol:

I never had a problem with my RIR's not getting along with the other breeds in my mixed flock (Barred Rocks, Black Australorps, SS, red sex links, EE's). But I have heard others say that.

Actually, the absolute worst behaved chickens I've ever had were the BA's...which is funny, everyone else seems to love them. Mine were nasty tempered, picked on all the other birds and one was a non-stop broody. I finally gave them to someone that said they could work with them because they were so much more experienced than I was. When I went to her place a few months later, the BA's were segregated from her flock because they were mean.:lol:
I always keep my breeds separate, except the young ones. That way they get used to how different breeds look.

I always keep my breeds separate, except the young ones. That way they get used to how different breeds look.

There are 2 schools of thought regarding keeping a single breed flock vs. a mixed flock.

I love a mixed flock myself. And other than those BA's, they've all gotten along just fine.

eta: Exception, the little Polish guy the hatchery sent me as a freebie did get his head feathers picked on by the bigger girls.

I love the Buff and the Lavender Orpingtons. Do you have one that you prefer over the other? :) That is so fun you have a broody one! Hope the hatch goes well!
The lavenders are young, so I'm still getting to know them. The pullets are the friendliest I've ever had, but the cockerel lavender orp is a pistol. :lol: My buffs have always been sweet, and I'm in love with my buff cockerel. He is so sweet and good to his girls.

Each chicken is an individual, so any breed can be sweet and you can spend a lot of time with them keeping them that way, and then you just get one that is not so sweet, and there's no rhyme or reason for it. Surly, the only ornery BO I've ever had out of about a dozen, has mellowed a lot, and is now my broody. I actually think her bad attitude was having all those hormones and no cockerel or rooster. She's a happy girl now. :D Well, she's a broody, so it's hard to tell, but I know she is.

I just cannot wait to see what you choose for your flock. You've had a lot of great suggestions here. It will be fun to watch your first flock grow with you!!! :jumpy

Good morning all...it's a chilly 4* here this morning so I made a jumbo sized pot of coffee and a bubbling vat of hot water for tea. There might even be some packets of hot cocoa mix on the counter.

Come help yourselves!

Back
Top Bottom