Cure for Skunk stink? I don't know if this is where it should go?

Emzyyy

Runs with Deer
11 Years
Jul 14, 2008
Derby Kansas
Today walking in the yard a mother skunk and her two babies were walking through the yard and before I could grab the dog he was off! That skunk got him at LEAST twice. So we mixed Dawn Dish Soap, baking soda, and peroxide together and washed him but he still stinks a bit. Any ideas? Does Tomato Juice actually work?

just happened to us last week...... go buy "tecnu" is a poison ivy remedy that walgreens et al sell, we washed our dog a couple times with it, it worked. Tomato juice doesnt work

This is "unfortunately" my specialty. I have a german shepherd who thinks skunks are friendly kitties. They always teach him that he is wrong. 4 lessons now and he hasn't learned.

Our recipe/plan:
1. if you get there right after the spray, use paper towels to remove as much "oil" as possible while still dry.
2. Soak dog and wash with Dawn, regular old blue Dawn (not the fancy flavor ones). Skunk spray is an oil and Dawn takes grease (oil) out of your way.
3. Rinse.
4. Mix the peroxide / baking soda in a pitcher, slowly pour over dog in the fizz stage rubbing it in. Sit a few minutes.
5. Rinse.
6. Repeat whole process.

About 4 times will take MOST of the smell away. We've tried it all, Massengill, tomato juice, the skunk remover stuff, you name it. We prefer the above recipe and keep ingredients on hand at all times.

If it helps, I feel your pain.
hmm.png

According to one study, smoke turned out to be the best remedy because it actually neutralized the odor molecules. If you happen to know an apiarist (beekeeper), ask to borrow his hand-held smoke machine and thoroughly "bathe" your stinky fellow in its fumes. (Apiarists use smoke to help prevent bee stings by preventing the bees from detecting each others' "Let's attack him!" pheromones.)

Back
Top Bottom