Cures for pneumonia?

HKG

❤️I love my goat❤️
Jan 5, 2021
Planet Earth
I believe my male bobwhite quail has pneumonia. I was looking for something that will clear it up that I may have at home? I have heard antibiotics will clear it up. I would like to try something other than antibiotics though because I am not 100% sure that is what it is. Also I am pretty sure it is respiratory because he is "coughing" constantly. Idk know a ton about quail respiratory diseases so if anyone thinks it is something else let me know 👍

Other respiratory diseases could be; Infectious Coryza and Infectious Bronchitis.
if it's IB, there is no medication that will alter the course of the disease...although antibiotics might help if secondary infections are suspected. Bobwhites are know to get IB fairly easily. Mortality rates can vary from <5% to 100%
Also raising the ambient temperature 5 to 10° will help in fighting the disease.

If it's IC, again the best method is prevention. Erythromycin and Oxytetracycline are usually the medications of choice. They can be added in their drinking water.

The only real way to know what your dealing with is to have diagnostic tests performed by a veterinarian. Tests can be extremely costly and not always provide any definite answer.

Other respiratory diseases could be; Infectious Coryza and Infectious Bronchitis.
if it's IB, there is no medication that will alter the course of the disease...although antibiotics might help if secondary infections are suspected. Bobwhites are know to get IB fairly easily. Mortality rates can vary from <5% to 100%
Also raising the ambient temperature 5 to 10° will help in fighting the disease.

If it's IC, again the best method is prevention. Erythromycin and Oxytetracycline are usually the medications of choice. They can be added in their drinking water.

The only real way to know what your dealing with is to have diagnostic tests performed by a veterinarian. Tests can be extremely costly and not always provide any definite answer.
That is what I am afraid of. I love him but spending money at the vet just to try something that may or may not work is not an option. If I can fix him at home that would be great but he is just a quail.

If you have other quail, make sure that you separate this one from them. Even if it has already been separated, keep a close eye on your other birds for symptoms. If your bird doesn't make it, you might consider sending the body to a lab for a necropsy. The tests aren't too expensive, and it might be worth it for your peace of mind.
https://www.heritageacresmarket.com/poultry-necropsy-labs/

Thanks for yhe advice I hope he gets better. 😢😢🥺
If you have other quail, make sure that you separate this one from them. Even if it has already been separated, keep a close eye on your other birds for symptoms. If your bird doesn't make it, you might consider sending the body to a lab for a necropsy. The tests aren't too expensive, and it might be worth it for your peace of mind.

Definitely. If what he has is contagious, you don't want to expose her any more than you have to.

I hope he gets better too. Make sure he stays warm. I'd bring him inside to make sure he's eating and drinking as well as staying warm. You will also be able to see what his poop is like and other observations that might help you keep track of his health.
He seems to be coughing less and percking up more! He is already in a shed so I didn't bring him in the house. I think he might have brooders pneumonia. So I gave him garlic because of it's antifungal properties. Oregano to boost his respiratory system. And apple cider vinegar because of it's antibacterial properties. 👍🏻

Is a vet an option? That would be far safer than trying a home remedy that may or may not work.
No. I just don't think it would be worth it to take him to the vet, he isn't really tame enough either. I also dont have an avian vet near here.

He has a hen with him. You think I should separate her out?

Back
Top Bottom