Curiosity has the best of me - Vegetarians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
2x

I do love vegetables but my body can not take too much carbohydrates.

Ddawn, I can certainly understand about the steak...I do not know what has happened but it does tasted spoiled. If I go to my local butcher, the meat is sooooooooo good! Excellent flavor! The grocery store is ok for beef stew or anything you can add to mask the "blah" in the meat.

I love chicken but they give me the "trots" every time, not sure why it is but it is the same for me for turkey, and pork....off to the bathroom I go! I love the taste of farm raised chicken and turkeys and pork.

So beef for me was the main meat item for my family but not very much of it like a bigger portion wise. And it does not "tear" me up.

I went throught that with steak before too.. for about 2 years i didnt have any steak at all.. i just didnt like the taste of it anymore..
But this past summer i have been craving a huge, raw ribeye at least weekly..

Actually i'm craving one now.. maybe that'll be dinner tonight..
tongue.png

DH's buddy Andy was raised as a Veggie... but then his parents (after he was outta the house) decide to revert to omnivores... too little too late though as he doesn't like the taste or texture at all and says it makes him ill, though I've never seen that so it might be in his head or might be true since he's never was allowed to eat meat as a kiddo... who knows.

We're all omnivores here, so I don't get it... missing out on SO much numminess... but whatever floats your gravy boat I guess... he does have a bit of a yen for my pasta so he's not totally insane.
tongue.png

i eat seafood because I have never met a fish that I really liked. I have met birds I like, I think cows are sweet and innocent, I think that pigs are way too smart to be food, goats are just like hoofy little dogs, sheep are best suited for sweater making, and as far as chickens, I've got meat birds right now, and experiment that I will not repeat (the meat is for my family, mother, brother, MIL, and neighbors, and my DH), but I wouldn't eat it because as far as I'm concerned, it's like raising up retarded people... and then eating them. I understand that breeding things for size and fatness doesn't also correlate to smarts, but it just seems unfair to eat these poor stupid birds, they have no clue. I used to feel very strongly that if I were lost in the woods and it came down to Me or the Squirrels, I'd choose to starve. after having kids and just getting tougher dealing with chicken tragedy, I think that at this point, the squirrel would be a goner.

chickensducks&agoose :

i eat seafood because I have never met a fish that I really liked. I have met birds I like, I think cows are sweet and innocent, I think that pigs are way too smart to be food, goats are just like hoofy little dogs, sheep are best suited for sweater making, and as far as chickens, I've got meat birds right now, and experiment that I will not repeat (the meat is for my family, mother, brother, MIL, and neighbors, and my DH), but I wouldn't eat it because as far as I'm concerned, it's like raising up retarded people... and then eating them. I understand that breeding things for size and fatness doesn't also correlate to smarts, but it just seems unfair to eat these poor stupid birds, they have no clue. I used to feel very strongly that if I were lost in the woods and it came down to Me or the Squirrels, I'd choose to starve. after having kids and just getting tougher dealing with chicken tragedy, I think that at this point, the squirrel would be a goner.

yuckyuck.gif

I'm an omnivore, but I've been veg for health reasons. My body just seems to work better with less meat; my cholesterol goes down, my stomach is happier and I lose weight. But I really like meat, and its hard to be vegetarian when no one else in the family is on the same page. It is hard to cook two meals all the time. As it is, we eat several veggie meals a week.

After years of gnawing on steak bones and snarfing down pork sausage and barbecue and being a general meatosaurus, I became a no-red-meat vegetarian at 12 or 14, probably because I was surrounded by ageing hippies who were constantly brainwashing me.

I have not knowingly eaten any beef or pork since then, that is many decades. The smell of bacon and pepperoni drives me almost mad but I won't eat it. On the rare occasion I've eaten it by accident it makes me physically sick. I don't WANT to be sick, I don't try to talk myself INTO being sick, it just happens. Gradually over time I was able to eat fewer and fewer kinds of meat without getting sick. For a few years after 14 I still enjoyed eating lox on a bagel (HEAVEN) but eventually I lost that too.

Sometimes since then I have gone thru times when I have eaten turkey or fish, but no beef or pork. It bothers me to eat chicken. I get nauseated at the thought of it and start almost-throwing up. I think that dates from a time when I bit into a piece of gristle in some chicken meat and threw up.

I have absolutely no idea why. About a decade ago I met an (India) Indian person who told me that it was because I was a reincarnated Indian. He sat there and watched me 'eat with hand properly' and declared, 'Moi Goid. You are a reincarnated Indian'.

That's the best explanation I've heard so far.

Last edited:
I became a vegetarian after seeing my first feed lot. It only lasted for 4 months, but it did make me pay more attention to where my food comes from,
and how humanely it was raised.

Quote:
That's what happened to my brother when they'd put green beans on his plate as a kid... he'd literally be ill... start gagging just from seeing a green bean, n'mind ever eating one. I always thought it was the weirdest thing, but then I like green beans but it seemed like old hat to them... wonder why they'd keep putting them on the plate?!? Wonder what caused it... maybe got sick after eating them once? Lots of wonders.

DD hates the fat, be it on a steak (SOOO GOOD yet so bad for you) or chicken (skin too) or whatever it is just not her thing. I can understand, I don't like cottage cheese... the flavor is weird to me, but it's the consistency that kills me... URK. Just one of those things in my head... I know I've got them so I try and understand others having them.

As you said, who WANTS to be sick? And likewise, who would want to purposely make someone else sick?

Most the time when I make pasta it's veggie... not on purpose, high morals or anything... just because I don't feel like making meatballs... my sauce is good without, and add in cheese with the pasta and you get the weird protein process mutation thingie (supposedly?) so it's all good. So long as your healthy and happy... not starving, no scurvy, etc then that's your business.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
My hubby is a true and tried vegetarian or another name, peanutarian LOL!

He does not eat ANY meat, nor ANY fruits and veggies, except for potatoes and peanuts.

This is basically what he eats:

peanut butter
white bread (no brown breads)
potatoes (FF, mashed and potato chip snacks)
grilled cheese sandwiches
ice cream, chocolate or vanilla with candy, no fruits
chocolate milk, has to be 100%, not skim or 1%

likes chocolate candies
cakes, only in vanilla, yellow or chocolate
jello, strawberry flavored only
cheese crackers

Friends and family calls him Mr Starch Man OLOLOL!

His cholestrol is great below 150 and once in a while he would be anemic and he would just crank up more peanut butter sandwiches to make up the differences.

He had this diet for over 40 years.

Wendy'sChicksRock :

Watch FOOD INC it will change how you feed your family for sure.

Yes, watch it!!! I loved it! Although I eat meat I get it from Joel Salatin (The movie) and me.. Sometimes other places but we don't like to.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom