Curious about rain

PoPo76

Songster
6 Years
Sep 22, 2014
Long Island, New York
It's been very rainy here the last few days. When I first got my hens they would sit under shelter if it were raining. However, the last few days they've been running around as usual. They are SOAKED. They look like wet puppies. I guess I'm just being paranoid but being wet like that wont do them any harm will it?

If they are in a coop/attached run you can always install a trap for some temporary assistance. When chickens get wet like that they become more vulnerable to a variety of illnesses.

If the ground around where your chickens live is getting too wet you can also mix in some sand. This will help dry the soil and keep their feet from being caked with mud 24/7.

They will dry off quickly if they have a dry place. Mine love to go out while its raining to catch the bugs and worms that the rain has made easy for them to catch. Mine haven't gotten sick yet from such activities. They are much heartier then some would believe.

They will dry off quickly if they have a dry place. Mine love to go out while its raining to catch the bugs and worms that the rain has made easy for them to catch. Mine haven't gotten sick yet from such activities. They are much heartier then some would believe.
X 2 - they will seek shelter if/when they feel it is necessary and our idea of what weather is too bad for them is often quite different from their instincts. As long as you provide a dry shelter area they can use if they choose, let them be.

Thanks. It was probably the worms. The wet weather was bringing out the worms like crazy. They were having a great time catching them. Their coop is definitely dry so they can always seek shelter there. They do seem a lot tougher than I thought they would be.

Back
Top Bottom