Curious about the statistics on rise of backyard flocks nationwide

Bhapimama

Songster
Jul 30, 2017
Blue Lake, CA
I feel like raising backyard chickens has become very popular in recent years. Not sure if it's just because I'm now doing it and my ears have just "perked up".... Curious to see if anyone knows the statistics.
Links to articles and/or news stories would be great!

Although, backyard chicken ownership is a growing trend, it is still a very small percentage (less than 1%) of the population. So, I believe you're seeing confirmation bias.

A national organization that conducts statistical surveys on non-commercial poultry raising is the National Animal Health Monitoring System of the US Department of Agriculture. This branch of the Federal Government monitors health impacts of non-commercial poultry as well as other animals on the American population. It is, therefore, their job to monitor trends in backyard chicken ownership. Here are some of their studies:

https://www.nal.usda.gov/exhibits/i...ts/show/backyardchickens/usdaresearchbackyard

There is a USDA report from 2013 that talks about "urban" chicken ownership in Denver, Los Angeles, Miami and New York City. It claims that 0.8% of the houses on less than an acre kept chickens, but that 4 percent of houses without chickens planned to get them in the next 5 years.

I agree that I get a sense anecdotally that the numbers of houses with chickens are increasing. In Colorado more and more cities are passing laws that explicitly allow certain numbers of chickens which seems like something that would only happen if interest in urban chickens is increasing. Stores around Denver that previously only sold garden supplies are now also selling chickens and chicken related products.

There is a USDA report from 2013 that talks about "urban" chicken ownership in Denver, Los Angeles, Miami and New York City. It claims that 0.8% of the houses on less than an acre kept chickens, but that 4 percent of houses without chickens planned to get them in the next 5 years.

I agree that I get a sense anecdotally that the numbers of houses with chickens are increasing. In Colorado more and more cities are passing laws that explicitly allow certain numbers of chickens which seems like something that would only happen if interest in urban chickens is increasing. Stores around Denver that previously only sold garden supplies are now also selling chickens and chicken related products.

Denver, and especially Boulder, are on the "crunchy" trendy side. You know, the recycle, composting, upcycling, organic, all natural, etc. etc. population of the country. They would be one of the most open to urban farming in the US. Seattle is another one like it.

Denver, and especially Boulder, are on the "crunchy" trendy side. You know, the recycle, composting, upcycling, organic, all natural, etc. etc. population of the country. They would be one of the most open to urban farming in the US. Seattle is another one like it.
"crunchy" .... As in granola?

I live in a community in the Detroit area that does not allow backyard chickens, however I have had several of them now for about five years and have had no complaints. I suppose it's mostly because my neighbors don't complain. I am moving very soon to another town quite close by that also doesn't allow backyard chickens and I'm more concerned now about mine. Can anyone tell me how to go about beginning the process of getting a city to allow small flocks? I'm only talking about three hens. Thank you.

I live in a community in the Detroit area that does not allow backyard chickens, however I have had several of them now for about five years and have had no complaints. I suppose it's mostly because my neighbors don't complain. I am moving very soon to another town quite close by that also doesn't allow backyard chickens and I'm more concerned now about mine. Can anyone tell me how to go about beginning the process of getting a city to allow small flocks? I'm only talking about three hens. Thank you.
Your lucky to not have one of those nosy neighbors getting into every ones business!

Back
Top Bottom