Curious Incubation Method

I had a thought about all this...my Call ducklings don't usually have the amount of down that chicks do because I always hatch fewer than the normal chick hatches run...what will happen in the toaster oven when all that down starts floating around? Can it reach the element?

This is a really interesting thread! I wonder how much it costs to run it.... This is a good idea to keep in mind if my incubator ever dies and I need something in an emergency!
x2 :)
I hardly ever read all the way through older threads, but I have on this one, and am so glad I get to hear results as they come it....love it.

I had a thought about all this...my Call ducklings don't usually have the amount of down that chicks do because I always hatch fewer than the normal chick hatches run...what will happen in the toaster oven when all that down starts floating around? Can it reach the element?

there is a covering over the elements so i dont think it would be able to really get right on the elements

Well I have some bad news. The egg that looked to be piping wasnt any good. A little bit ago i checked on it and there was a big hole on the large side. I looked closer because i thought it was finally happening but seen nothing. no beak or noise. I waiting a bit and looked again seen nothing. So i opened the door and looked at the egg. The hole was in the air sack but the memberbrane was not broken under it. I knew if there was a chick in there it wouldnt survive now. I broke the egg open and it had a big embro and lots of yolk. It wasnt even fully developed so it must of died before hand. What i dont understand is why did the egg shell crack open like that on its own. Could there been pressure building up in there that made it crack?

Well I have some bad news. The egg that looked to be piping wasnt any good. A little bit ago i checked on it and there was a big hole on the large side. I looked closer because i thought it was finally happening but seen nothing. no beak or noise. I waiting a bit and looked again seen nothing. So i opened the door and looked at the egg. The hole was in the air sack but the memberbrane was not broken under it. I knew if there was a chick in there it wouldnt survive now. I broke the egg open and it had a big embro and lots of yolk. It wasnt even fully developed so it must of died before hand. What i dont understand is why did the egg shell crack open like that on its own. Could there been pressure building up in there that made it crack?
I'm so sorry. :( But that actually is very strange. Could it have been bumped? I hope one of the experienced chicken folk jump in on this mystery. Did you get to candle any of the other eggs?

No dont think they could of been bumped i had them spaced apart and was always very careful and i always checked the eggs very good while candling and it wasnt cracked before lock down. Im down to 6 eggs now out of 12. I didnt candle any others since lockdown. The 7 that was left seemed to be growing since the egg was pretty much a big black mass. I have brown eggs and they was pretty hard to candle to see very good. I hope the others do or at least 2 of them. It is a mystery and hope some one else could help me figure out why this has happened.

Last edited:
Im sorry to hear you lost the first egg. And I also have ne clue to why it would have cracked like that. I have fingers crossed that the others do better. And it may take a few days longer to get a pip if that one didnt seem fully ready. Id try not to open the door again for a few days and hope for the best.
fl.gif

OM gosh, I couldn't wait to log on here tonight to see the progress.
Sorry for the latest info but am anxiously supporting better news
with the remaining eggs.

This could be the first "toaster chick" like the chick on you tube
from trader joes. Wishing you success and will keep checking in.
goodpost.gif

Back
Top Bottom