Curious Incubation Method

for the record... I didn't interpret it that way and I never said that

I was just letting people know that if vents are blocked it CAN cause the death of the chicks.. even with BIG commercial hatchers they have to make sure that there is plenty of ventilation AROUND the hatcher even with vents open because a "dead air" space behind them can still cause a buildup of carbon dioxide poisoning.
When emus were popular as an alternative meat source Janice Castleberry was one of the first people here in the US to perfect hatching of them.. and early on she discovered that"'dead air" spaces around the big incubators and hatchers that they were using was causing dismal hatch rates.. Once they moved the equipment back away from the wall by several more feet and added extra air movement the problem was solved.
I know for a fact her incubators/hatchers were not air tight since I worked for several years in a commercial hatchery and have used large commercial incubators & hatchers on a daily basis

And having said that.. I'm going to avoid this thread since it seems (to me at least) that I have stepped on a few toes

Your not stepping on anyones toes. I take all the advice i can get. I put what everyone has told me to try and its all working out nice. My temp is steady at 100 degrees and my humidity ranges from 50% to 57%. This is an experimental incubation method that I have been wanting to try for some time now. I did not know what to really expect since it is a toaster oven. LOL There is vents all over this thing on the sides and back. The first 18 days went pretty good like it should. The only problem i really had was the humidity for the last 3 days. I am appreciate every ones input. I will keep you all updated!!!!!

I agree. I dont think you stepped on anyones toes. Advise is advice and we can choose to take it or leave it but we all here appreciate all the advice we can get, that is what BYC is for. I know Id be lost without all of you other chicken obbsessed members
tongue.png

the last thing I would ever want to do is block vents for a hatching egg... chicks need MORE oxygen.. not less.. Sure when you first put eggs in a bator they don't need as much.. but as chicks grow and get to the stage where they are getting ready to hatch then need a whole lot more. One of the main reasons why chicks get to hatching stage.. then die in shell is due to lack of oxygen (carbon dioxide poisoning). So vents should remain OPEN at hatch... even in a home made bator. Oxygen is more important at hatch than high humidity anyway since as the chicks begin to hatch the humidity will naturally rise on it's own from the wet chicks

I would too. I incubate dry and hatch dry for most eggs since as I stated above the humidity will naturally rise as the chicks begin to hatch. For geese and ducks I will raise it.. but not for chickens.
If you ever find that the chicks are having a hard time hatching it's more than likely due to fan placement than due to low humidity. For peace of mind people CAN raise the humidity at hatch.. but over the years i have discovered that with a GOOD incubator you don't need to. After all the hen does not go and dunk her behind in water at hatch. But she also does not have a fan blowing directly on her hatching eggs drying them out. Humidity DURING incubation is more important than at hatch since the chicks will suffer if they lose too much or too little moisture during the incubation stage ..which is why monitoring air cell size or weight is more important than paying attention to a (more than likely) faulty hygrometer.

Lol.. I've been hatching eggs out all my life (everything from parrots to emus) and one of the main things I have learned that is if you know your individual bator and how the hatching process works you can get 100% hatches (unless the eggs are infertile to begin with).
my first hatch I thought they were all dead and just left them. didn't put any water in the bater, quit turning around day 15...and I did everything wrong. they hatched fine. after that I read more and bumped my humidity up like I was supposed to and the chicks kept drowning. I agree, each bator is different. I finally figured out how to work my LG and then put it ouside in the sun to sterilize and my chickens ate it. :( now im figuring out my hovabator which is totally different than the LG. :(

Oh I hope so...this is amazing. I can't hatch in an incubator and you do it an oven? and some in their bra?

Nothing yet. The one is still piping tho. They are are not suppose to be ready till tomorrow so this one is early. Not sure how long its going to take this little check to break threw the shell all the way. Im really excited too!!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom