Curled Pekin Foot

Indiana Dunn

Chirping
May 23, 2017
My Pekin who is about 9 weeks has start to develop a curved foot inwards. We saw the vet weeks ago when it wasn't very bad and they said it was inflammation and gave us some antibiotics, but is continuing to curve to the point she barely uses it. We've started raising the amount of niacin we give her to make her stronger, but I was wondering if you can use paper shoes on an adult duck to make it straighten. If so, how do you make one?

My Pekin who is about 9 weeks has start to develop a curved foot inwards. We saw the vet weeks ago when it wasn't very bad and they said it was inflammation and gave us some antibiotics, but is continuing to curve to the point she barely uses it. We've started raising the amount of niacin we give her to make her stronger, but I was wondering if you can use paper shoes on an adult duck to make it straighten. If so, how do you make one?
Maybe @Ravynscroft can give you some advice. Good luck and hope she gets better. :)

Hello! I just aw this...We do have a Pekin duckling, its leg is getting better still, but any ways...This is what we did...

1. Soak the foot in Epsom salt solution for 20 to 30 min. (Don't let it drink the Epsom salt solution water.)

2. Let it swim for 15 minutes.

3. Then, finally, find a box big enough so that its feet touch the ground a little, and a thin towel, cut two holes, in the thin towel big enough so that its feet and legs can fit through them, and get some pincher paper clips. Then put the thin towel on the box and connect the pincher paper clip on top of the towel and box, and leave a little swang. Do it for about an hour.

Hope that will help it...
Can you send pictures of the duckling also?

Last edited:
Not sure, but another member had a duckling much younger that they corrected a foot with... @GSDperson might be able to give you info on what they did?

Sometimes Pekins seem to need a bit more Niacin than most other breeds, I think... how much Niacin are you giving now?
I give both my ducks brewer's yeast in their food based on how much the bottle says, but I also picked up some ingredients for a food mash from another user's post to feed just to the injured one to make sure she gets extra niacin.

IMG_1445.PNG
Hello! I just aw this...We do have a Pekin duckling, its leg is getting better still, but any ways...This is what we did...

1. Soak the foot in Epsom salt solution for 20 to 30 min. (Don't let it drink the Epsom salt solution water.)

2. Let it swim for 15 minutes.

3. Then, finally, find a box big enough so that its feet touch the ground a little. and a thin towel, cut two holes, in the thin towel big enough so that its feet and legs can fit through them, and get some pincher paper clips. Then put the thin towel on the box and connect the pincher paper clip on top of the towel and box, and leave a little swang. Do it for about an hour.

Hope that will help it...
Can you send pictures of the duckling also?
Here's a picture. She has started to drag it behind her so that's why I am worried. I wouldn't wanted her to get any scrapes or infections.

Not sure, but another member had a duckling much younger that they corrected a foot with... @GSDperson might be able to give you info on what they did?

Sometimes Pekins seem to need a bit more Niacin than most other breeds, I think... how much Niacin are you giving now?
One of the things I read said that they need feed made with 70 ppm niacin.

Back
Top Bottom