Current Internet Theory

Pics
Having worked in manufacturing facilities for most of my 38 year career in Quality Assurance, poor warehouse practices are quite common. While they promote FIFO (First In, First Out) the general behavior is LILO (Last In, Last Out). I'm sure the labor woes related to the pandemic of the past three years have only made that occurrence rate worse throughout the supply chains of most every product.

That's one of the harder things to train people about when we have new people in the deli.

They *always* want to do the easiest thing instead of the right thing.

Can you look at the labels I posted previously from the DuMOR bags and point out where the millage date is?
If I remember correctly, Dumor used to have a julian date on the nutrition tag where it says 621D. I'm not sure what 621D is. If you open your Dumor feed upside down, then the mill date probably got thrown away.
D17AD73B-62AE-4744-9CE1-BEF634C64D78.png

Honest question here, what's the difference?
First in, first out (FIFO) means that the first thing that came in (oldest feed) goes out first. Every time you get new feed, you move all the old feed and put the new stuff behind it. Then you sell from the front of the pile (oldest feed.)

The other poster said LILO (last in last out), which would be pretty much the same (newest stuff came in last, and only gets sold after all the older stuff has been sold.) But I'm pretty sure that was a typo. They probably meant:

Last in, first out (LIFO) means the last thing that came in (newest feed) gets sold first, while the oldest feed sits in a corner and gets older and older. Every time you get new feed, you put it in the front of the pile and sell it first. The old feed may sit there for months or years, until one day there's a shortage of feed and someone finally pulls the old stuff out and sells it.

It's easier to just sell the newest stuff first, because you don't have to shuffle things around, so that's what people often do by default.

These terms apply to any situation where new stuff comes in and old stuff goes out. So it could be applied to a home refrigerator (put the new milk behind the old one, and finish drinking the old jug first) and to grocery store shelves (new cereal behind old cereal, new cans of soup behind older cans of soup), and to a deli as some people were mentioning above. I've even heard computer programmers using the same terms, when talking about how a computer handles & stores pieces of information.

First in, first out (FIFO) means that the first thing that came in (oldest feed) goes out first. Every time you get new feed, you move all the old feed and put the new stuff behind it. Then you sell from the front of the pile (oldest feed.)

The other poster said LILO (last in last out), which would be pretty much the same (newest stuff came in last, and only gets sold after all the older stuff has been sold.) But I'm pretty sure that was a typo. They probably meant:

Last in, first out (LIFO) means the last thing that came in (newest feed) gets sold first, while the oldest feed sits in a corner and gets older and older. Every time you get new feed, you put it in the front of the pile and sell it first. The old feed may sit there for months or years, until one day there's a shortage of feed and someone finally pulls the old stuff out and sells it.

It's easier to just sell the newest stuff first, because you don't have to shuffle things around, so that's what people often do by default.

These terms apply to any situation where new stuff comes in and old stuff goes out. So it could be applied to a home refrigerator (put the new milk behind the old one, and finish drinking the old jug first) and to grocery store shelves (new cereal behind old cereal, new cans of soup behind older cans of soup), and to a deli as some people were mentioning above. I've even heard computer programmers using the same terms, when talking about how a computer handles & stores pieces of information.
Okay, that makes sense. We learned about FiFo and LiFo in accounting, but I'd never heard of LiLo, so that was where the confusion was. Thanks

Having worked in manufacturing facilities for most of my 38 year career in Quality Assurance, poor warehouse practices are quite common. While they promote FIFO (First In, First Out) the general behavior is LILO (Last In, Last Out). I'm sure the labor woes related to the pandemic of the past three years have only made that occurrence rate worse throughout the supply chains of most every product.
Also I have witnessed people mopping slapping the side of the last bag on a pallet. I never ever buy the last bag on a pallet.

Yep, sounds easier than dealing with rotten deli meat.

No, what's easiest is sticking the thing you're unpacking onto the empty spot on the front of the shelf and letting someone else worry about the stuff in back.

:(

People who don't realize that the manager is neither stupid nor blind get fired for it.

Back
Top Bottom