Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN

And 20th Century Fox only gave them 58 million dollars to make the movie (which is not a lot of money for a superhero (or ani-hero
lol.png
) film) because they thought it was going to be a box office flop.
I saw on TV that Ryan Reynolds took a "small" (by hollywood standards) pay cheque of around 2 million for his role, but also got a share of the profits which have made him about 14 million (so far). They are going to be making a sequel and he'll be offered more than 2 million for the next one....

I saw on TV that Ryan Reynolds took a "small" (by hollywood standards) pay cheque of around 2 million for his role, but also got a share of the profits which have made him about 14 million (so far).  They are going to be making a sequel and he'll be offered more than 2 million for the next one....
off topic, but is that how Aussies spell 'check'? :D

A lot of movies are predictable because they use the same old plots - you can just tell when the main characters are going to end up together. Or when best buddies aren't and one kills off the other. In natural disaster movies, the top stars always come out alive. Or the million remake movies that were better the first time.

A lot of movies are predictable because they use the same old plots - you can just tell when the main characters are going to end up together. Or when best buddies aren't and one kills off the other. In natural disaster movies, the top stars always come out alive. Or the million remake movies that were better the first time.
Exactly...filmmakers need to come up with more original ideas.
hmm.png

Watched three very different DVD movies last weekend:

SELF/LESS - A sci-fi story of the very rich purchasing the ability for "shedding," which is installing their consciousness and soul into a donor body for immortality's sake. Ben Kingsley turns in a great performance, Ryan Reynolds is nice eye candy as the second interation. Not too thinky and plenty of action (car chases, flame throwers) to keep hubby interested.

ASHBY - A comedy of a new-to-town teenager trying to adjust to his new environs. Given the homework assignment of writing an essay on "Wisdom of the Elders" he enlists his next-door neighbor to provide input in exchange for chauffeuring the neighbor about town. Little does he know that his neighbor is an assassin. This was a fun movie. I thought Mickey Rourke was perfectly cast. Emma Roberts does a nice nerdy turn.

BONE TOMAHAWK - This movie had so much promise: A stunning Kurt Russell in a western with great dialogue.... That is, until the last 20 minutes when it turned into a gruesome cannibal flick. Unless you truly enjoy seeing folks eviscerated alive you may want to avoid this one. It was rated by Dread as one of the five goriest deaths on film...a fact gleaned after the fact when researching What-the-heck did I just view? A pity because it was a pretty good flick up to that point. It would've been even better if Timothy Olyphant had remained in the cast and they had originally filmed int New Mexico as planned. What happened here??

Watched three very different DVD movies last weekend:

SELF/LESS - A sci-fi story of the very rich purchasing the ability for "shedding," which is installing their consciousness and soul into a donor body for immortality's sake. Ben Kingsley turns in a great performance, Ryan Reynolds is nice eye candy as the second interation. Not too thinky and plenty of action (car chases, flame throwers) to keep hubby interested.

ASHBY - A comedy of a new-to-town teenager trying to adjust to his new environs. Given the homework assignment of writing an essay on "Wisdom of the Elders" he enlists his next-door neighbor to provide input in exchange for chauffeuring the neighbor about town. Little does he know that his neighbor is an assassin. This was a fun movie. I thought Mickey Rourke was perfectly cast. Emma Roberts does a nice nerdy turn.

BONE TOMAHAWK - This movie had so much promise: A stunning Kurt Russell in a western with great dialogue.... That is, until the last 20 minutes when it turned into a gruesome cannibal flick. Unless you truly enjoy seeing folks eviscerated alive you may want to avoid this one. It was rated by Dread as one of the five goriest deaths on film...a fact gleaned after the fact when researching What-the-heck did I just view? A pity because it was a pretty good flick up to that point. It would've been even better if Timothy Olyphant had remained in the cast and they had originally filmed int New Mexico as planned. What happened here??

Thanks for the warning on Bone Tomahawk. That part would've likely freaked me out too bad. LOL I'm a wuss. But, Ashby I had not heard of and am now intrigued. I have a crush on Ben Kingsley, so that's an easy pick. I had wondered about that one.
lol.png

Yeah!

I think people went to see it because  he is supposed to be an anti-hero, an over the top super power.  He is foul mouthed, extremely crude & rude.  A parody of super heroes who are a parody to begin with. The brief nudity isn't any worse than things cable has on tv, or in serious, Oscar potential movies.

After seeing so many  brutal fights in   super person movies,  Deadpool's aren't really much different except he takes great delight .  The back story kinda explains what he has become. But, what sold me was the  romance  - yes , sweet  & everlasting.  Okay I am sentimental.  Hope I didn't give away too much

I may see it, but not until it comes out on DVD so I can rent it from Redbox.

true, they're pretty predictable, but I like how the stories (at least with Marvel) intertwine with each other and it gives you something to look forward to in the different movies

X2!

Back
Top Bottom