Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN

The graphic work on these animated features is just spectacular. Even if it's one where you don't much like the story, just the artwork is worth watching.

I just watched a DVD of a movie called "What Maisie Knew". It's about a little girl and her family which consists of her self-centred parents who split up and then their new partners. It is shown from the little girl's perspective. Really good movie. All cast members excellent - Julianne Moore as the rock star mum, Steve Coogan as the art dealer dad, Joanna Vanderham and Alexander Skarsgard as the 2 step-parents and Onata Aprile as the little girl. Really well done and worth watching.

The Monday Matinee Movie group voted to go see "How to be a Latin lover." It was a bawdy romp, kind of like a Jim Carrey movie sans Jim Carrey and without being totally inane. A couple of really good laughs in it, silly and cute. The premise is a kept man gets booted to the street after 25 years of marriage to a rich dowager and finds himself homeless. He winds up staying with his estranged sister and her shy son, and the antics that ensue involve trying to land another sugar mama while trying not to be evicted (again). Starring Eugenio Derbez, Rob Lowe, Linda Lavin, Selma Hayek, Raquel Welch, Kristen Bell, Michael Cera, Rob Corddry.

The critics seem to like that movie Potato chip. I have thought about going also but not getting any volunteers to drive me.

Re: the other movie you mentioned. I love Rob Corrdry, he was in my favorite zombie movie "Warm Bodies," I love that movie.

Haven't seen Linda Lavin since she was a waitress in a tv sitcom many years ago.

My son is here, so we went to the movies and saw "Wonder Woman," (again for me). I liked it even better the second time.

I'm hoping to have him see "Guardians of the Galaxy vol.2 ( again for me). I bought the first one and realized it wasn't all fun and laughs like I thought. They had mucho serious confrontations in that one also. I guess you remember only what you choose to. So I think I was too harsh on on vo. 2 - so I will enjoy seeing it much better the second time around.

I don't know whether I mentioned it here, but I got to see the 2 Guardians of the Galaxy in the same week. It was good watching them almost "back to back". I thought the 2 movies were quite consistent in humour and action.

I've booked a ticket to see that movie "The Big Sick". Hopefully it'll be good.

Back
Top Bottom