Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN

"Freaky"

Just released at Redbox, this is a take on the "Freaky Friday" franchise where people's bodies are inexplicably magically switched to the detriment of hapless folks with ample humor as they navigate their new selves. This time it's an escaped serial killer and a shy high schooler. Safe to say that this could be billed as a horror comedy as the teenagers are hilarious and it's a Blumhouse production. You can tell the actors enjoyed making this movie and it does poke a bit of fun at the genre. There's a bit of gore and the opening scenes are the worst. (Cliche: "Don't go in the basement!") Cheers when the sadistic woodshop teacher gets his just desserts.

Starring Vince Vaughn, Kathryn Newton, Alan Ruck. Directed by Christopher Landon. Runs 1 hour 42 minutes. Not all that scary. DH (who normally hides his face during my horror show viewings) was laughing quite a bit.

"Freaky"

Just released at Redbox, this is a take on the "Freaky Friday" franchise where people's bodies are inexplicably magically switched to the detriment of hapless folks with ample humor as they navigate their new selves. This time it's an escaped serial killer and a shy high schooler. Safe to say that this could be billed as a horror comedy as the teenagers are hilarious and it's a Blumhouse production. You can tell the actors enjoyed making this movie and it does poke a bit of fun at the genre. There's a bit of gore and the opening scenes are the worst. (Cliche: "Don't go in the basement!") Cheers when the sadistic woodshop teacher gets his just desserts.

Starring Vince Vaughn, Kathryn Newton, Alan Ruck. Directed by Christopher Landon. Runs 1 hour 42 minutes. Not all that scary. DH (who normally hides his face during my horror show viewings) was laughing quite a bit.
Thanks for the review!

I love this thread!!! Thanks for the reviews. I now have a nice long list of films to watch 😍

We saw The Midnight Sun (2020) starring and directed by George Clooney recently. It's a post apocalyptic film about a terminally ill scientist trudging through the Arctic to get to a place where he can warn astronauts against returning to Earth. It's a pretty slow moving film with a not-very-surprising plot twist. None of the astronauts are particularly interesting or compelling either. Disappointingly (especially given our current historical moment), Maya (played by Tiffany Boone), the female African American astronaut, gets killed (spoiler alert!) and the two surviving astronauts (played by David Oyelowo and Felicity Jones) head back to a potentially habitable moon to implausibly survive and repopulate a new colony, Adam and Eve style. There are much better dystopian future/post-apocalyptic films out there imho.

Not movies, but I highly recommend both the tv series The Queen's Gambit (2020) and Bridgerton (2020). Both are highly entertaining on their own and really fun to watch with teenagers.

I love this thread!!! Thanks for the reviews. I now have a nice long list of films to watch 😍

We saw The Midnight Sun (2020) starring and directed by George Clooney recently. It's a post apocalyptic film about a terminally ill scientist trudging through the Arctic to get to a place where he can warn astronauts against returning to Earth. It's a pretty slow moving film with a not-very-surprising plot twist. None of the astronauts are particularly interesting or compelling either. Disappointingly (especially given our current historical moment), Maya (played by Tiffany Boone), the female African American astronaut, gets killed (spoiler alert!) and the two surviving astronauts (played by David Oyelowo and Felicity Jones) head back to a potentially habitable moon to implausibly survive and repopulate a new colony, Adam and Eve style. There are much better dystopian future/post-apocalyptic films out there imho.

Not movies, but I highly recommend both the tv series The Queen's Gambit (2020) and Bridgerton (2020). Both are highly entertaining on their own and really fun to watch with teenagers.
Thanks!

We loved the Queen's Gambit. We have not seen Bridgerton yet.

Good review of The Midnight Sun

Last night we watched The White Tiger (2021) on Netflix. It's an adaptation of Aravind Adiga's novel by the same name (which I also highly recommend; I read it a few years ago and have always wondered why it didn't get more buzz).

The film stars Priyanka Chopra Jonas as Pinky and Adarsh Gourav as Balram. It's the story of a low caste, but highly ambitious driver/servant in India who makes difficult choices to become an entrepreneur, as told through a series of email messages he sends to the Chinese prime minister. I've been to India twice and the sets and locations are spot on. Highly recommend!

Last night we watched The White Tiger (2021) on Netflix. It's an adaptation of Aravind Adiga's novel by the same name (which I also highly recommend; I read it a few years ago and have always wondered why it didn't get more buzz).

The film stars Priyanka Chopra Jonas as Pinky and Adarsh Gourav as Balram. It's the story of a low caste, but highly ambitious driver/servant in India who makes difficult choices to become an entrepreneur, as told through a series of email messages he sends to the Chinese prime minister. I've been to India twice and the sets and locations are spot on. Highly recommend!
Sounds great!

Thanks for the review!

Back
Top Bottom