Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN

Rented the DVD Canadian drama movie "Indian Horse" -- adapted by Richard Wagamese's book of the same title and produced by Clint Eastwood -- over the weekend via Redbox. It has a social justice get-woke bent to it as it follows the life of Native Canadian Saul Indian Horse as he survives the mandated residential school in Ontario (for those unaware, during the late 1950's and 60's Native children were routinely removed from their tribes and placed in Catholic institutions for "civilizing" and treated rather uncivilly therein) and life amidst the racism of the 1970's. A talented hockey player, Saul must find his own path as he battles stereotypes and alcoholism. His redemption comes in the form of discovering new "tribes" and family and ultimately connecting with his spiritual past.

I enjoyed this movie until the last scene -- a flashback -- when the whole thing got turned on its head and the protagonist became an antagonist, rendering the film into a sort of "nothing is as it seems, but now it makes sense upon reflection" realm, and that revelation was truly disturbing. A really horrible gotcha.

Today we saw "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood". Tom hanks 'is' Mr Rogers, and Matthew Rhys is outstanding in his role. I always thought that Mr Rogers was bunk, and then last year we saw the Mr Rogers documentary. The guy is for real. His intent was real as was his concern for children. Both the Princess and I go 3.5 on this movie. It's good not great, but time seems to fly during this film. We both liked it.

Planning to see "Knives out," with Daniel Craig etc. not my favorite actor but have read/ heard reviews say the movie is hysterical. I sure could use the laughs.

"Ready or Not"

So husby says, "I'm busy. Pick what you want." This means I get to avoid the usual car-chase bullet-riddled exploding-helicopter special-operations genre of films that we usually watch as a pair and delve into either chick flicks or horror. I chose the latter as a spate of new ones came out on Redbox.

Well, I was pleasantly disappointed! It's not a horror film, per se, but a giddy romp which came across as a cross between "Beetlejuice" and "Clue." A comedy thriller, if you will. Honestly, husband -- who joined me -- and I pretty much laughed throughout the film.

The premise is that a bride (Grace) marries into a wealthy eccentric family that has made its fortunes from generations of board games. As is the family's wedding night tradition, they gather for a night of game playing with the newest addition to the family drawing a card out of a mysterious box to determine what the night's fare shall be. Grace draws the dreaded "Hide and Seek" card and she must survive until dawn. She has a fair chance as the house is HUGE and the family -- so rich they probably have never lifted a finger nor washed a dish in their lives -- are armed with an assortment of medieval weapons which soon reveal their total ineptness.

The film stars Samara Weaving, Adam Brody and Andie MacDowell. But IMHO the real star of the film is the bride's dress which is a stunning metaphor. The characters are superbly developed and played with a dose of high campiness. This movie is fun!

(Warning: Swearing, some blood.)

"Ready or Not"

So husby says, "I'm busy. Pick what you want." This means I get to avoid the usual car-chase bullet-riddled exploding-helicopter special-operations genre of films that we usually watch as a pair and delve into either chick flicks or horror. I chose the latter as a spate of new ones came out on Redbox.

Well, I was pleasantly disappointed! It's not a horror film, per se, but a giddy romp which came across as a cross between "Beetlejuice" and "Clue." A comedy thriller, if you will. Honestly, husband -- who joined me -- and I pretty much laughed throughout the film.

The premise is that a bride (Grace) marries into a wealthy eccentric family that has made its fortunes from generations of board games. As is the family's wedding night tradition, they gather for a night of game playing with the newest addition to the family drawing a card out of a mysterious box to determine what the night's fare shall be. Grace draws the dreaded "Hide and Seek" card and she must survive until dawn. She has a fair chance as the house is HUGE and the family -- so rich they probably have never lifted a finger nor washed a dish in their lives -- are armed with an assortment of medieval weapons which soon reveal their total ineptness.

The film stars Samara Weaving, Adam Brody and Andie MacDowell. But IMHO the real star of the film is the bride's dress which is a stunning metaphor. The characters are superbly developed and played with a dose of high campiness. This movie is fun!

(Warning: Swearing, some blood.)
Thanks for the review!

"Mary"

Gary Oldman helms this haunted ship movie. What a waste of his talents is this film!

Plot premise is that Oldman's character (Dave) is a fishing charter employee who longs for a boat of his own. He goes to a boat auction and instead comes home with a fixer-upper ketch reminiscent of his childhood sailing vessel. This particular boat, it turns out, has been found floating abandoned in the same deep-water area (Burmuda triangle) with missing crew no less than three times. Its masthead is a particularly creepy 300-year-old carving of a sea siren. He's about to take the family and a couple of deckhands sailing to the same cursed oceanic area. What could go wrong? Well, if the boat is inhabited by a demonic sea witch spirit, then plenty. On the ocean you have no place to run to.

The plot tends to get mucked down by marital problems, parenting problems, employee problems. Dave is pretty much a one-dimensional character. The scenery is, well, a sailboat on the vast ocean.

I'm not sure if this film could've been better, but I felt it was "meh" at best. I'll give it a star if you happen to like Gary Oldman or sailing, but I don't recommend actively seeking it out to view.

Today we saw "Judy". Renee Zellweger as Judy Garland is exceptional, but I didn't really like the movie overall. I'll go 2.5 stars and the Princess will go 3.5 - primarily because of Zellweger's personification of 'Judy'.
I saw Judy last week.

I also thought Zellweger was fantastic. I learned a lot about Judy Garland and read up on her afterwards. Those early movie stars had very little autonomy, poor things.

The movie was never going to be enjoyable. She had such a very sad life.

3/5 but Judy fans will love it.

Going to see the new Star Wars movie. I never liked any of them but, my son is visiting and knows the movie is getting carpy reviews . He wants to go anyway, so for two hours or so we get to sit next to each other instead of talking through his locked bedroom door.
How was the movie?

Back
Top Bottom