Custom feed mixing question for the pro's

MMPoultryFarms

Songster
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
Okarche Oklahoma
So I am learning to create my own feed and I Have ran into a slight problem. I am trying to create a 20% flock raiser product I have it down to a science with fishmeal bi product. However the local Co Op I use will not run fishmeal threw there machine. So I went with a replacement of Soybean meal However this dropped me down 1% to 19% I am using Bulk oats Milo Soybean meal Soy oils Calcium Dicalcium Phosphate and Poultry premix. How can I boost this to 20% Or would it be best to just leave out the soy meal and add the FBP (fish meal) on my farm myself? any thoughts or ideas?

Quote:
What Premix are you going to use..
Most Premixes are high in protein, I believe around 38% protein...

If you are using Premix that is 38% protein then all you have to do is mix 30 lbs premix to 70 lbs of a 14% protein all grain pigeon feed.
That should put you at 21.2% protein and a good mixture of grain...

Chris

As Chris stated leave the fish meal out and you still have a high protien rate. Then as a treat use fish by-products. Take a group of kids fishing for a day and grind up all the ferch and sunfish they catch. Then feed that to your chickens as a treat, they will love you for it. For some reason a steady diet of fish by-products affects some chickens life span.

Maybe I should have been more specific. I work with a local Co Op who I take my grains to In bulk and mix bulk batches of feed. they are my recipes that I am always trying to improve. Well I found an Outlet on another Co Op that has 8 tons of fish meal but they quit making feed and cant sell it. So I calculated the bulk oats, milo,soybean, and corn Poultry premix (made by evergreen) and fish meal. Well come tofind out the Co Op cant run fish meal threw there grinders. So that counted that out I mix no less then 500lbs at a time. so to reach the desired 20% I want should I leave out the soymeal completely and when the 500 lbs is picked up then add my ratio of Fishmeal. for the 20% feed ratio or should I Keep the soymeal and stand on 19% for flock raiser. I know its only 1% but I feed ducks turkeys geese and chickens. So to me 19% sounds low for flock raiser.

Quote:
Ok,
I looked at Evergreens web site and didn't see a Poultry Premix on there.
Are you trying to make a "mash" is that why you are running the mix through a grinder?
If all you have to do is grind the premix, corn, oats, and milo then run everything in the mixer with the fish meal.
The fish meal is already meal/ mash so you wont have to run it through a grinder again..

Chris

I just got off the phone with the co op he said he uses a custom premix made by osu poultry premix Some guy named john at OSU. anyhow the probem is in the soymeal substitute there using in my ingrediant since they cannot run fishmeal threw there machines my question was more along the lines of should I just have them leave out the soymeal in the making and when I get it home to the farm add the fishmeal. He also informed me that even though the paperwork says 19% he was able to reach a 19.6% they just dont add decimals guess my question was more simple then as complicated as i made it seem Leave out the soymeal add my own fishmeal or leave the feed as is and go with it?

Back
Top Bottom