Cut Cornea from RI Red - what a day

Biddieacres

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
My kids can't seem to keep their faces away from our new 8 week old chickens. Especially the RI Reds seem to go for their eyes. I spent most of the day at the childrens hospital with my son. The chicken pecked him right in the pupil and he is in such pain. It is constantly watering and he can't open his eye. It is even swollen. We are still new to raising chickens and everyone probably already knows this, but please warn the children to watch their eyes.

Im so sorry to hear about your son getting pecked! I have been pecked in the eye...ONCE! I learn quickly....chicken glasses. LOL Just a cheap pair of sun glasses...keeps MY peepers safe! LOL
I hope your son recovers quickly.

I hope your boy gets better too..
hugs.gif

* Ah, poor kid. . . I haue had an injured cornea twice, once from something in it, once from a tear when my eye dried out overnight. It is excruciating and maddening. IF they give you that thick gunky eye lube (not the same as the anticbiotic drops)-- ask the doc if you can use vit e or if he has a heavily moisturizing eyedrop instead. The thick stuff is useless. Only glops up your lashes.

Last edited:
I know his pain, but not from a chicken, I got a paper cut on mine from carrying in my groceries. I turned to see where my son went, and the bag cut my eyeball!
I went to the hosp. and they didn't flush the eye out so by the next day, I had paper bag fiber embedded in my eye!
They also gave me that useless eye junk!
I wish they could have sent home some of the numbing eye drops, as the pain was so intense.
I would rather break my arm then have my eye hurt!
I hope he heals soon!
Brenda

Oh, the poor thing. My daughter had a cut cornea from playing when she was young. Just a fluke. The good thing is that the eye hels quickly.

Quote:
Yes! the kids do wear sunglasses now just to make sure! He says he is not mad at the chicken because that is just what they do. They peck!

Quote:
No they did not cover it but it is very sensitive to light so he wears sunglasses outside. I have never cut my eye but your right. People say it is just awful. I could tell he was in real pain.

Back
Top Bottom