Cut on ankle

The Luggage

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
One of my girls has a little cut on her ankle, right above her back toe. It's about a centimeter wide, and it doesn't look that deep. It almost looks like what happens when your skin is really chapped and it cracks a little. In any case, there is dried blood around the area, and I'm worried about it getting infected. And of course, this would have to happen to my bird who is least fond of being held and handled!

Is this the kind of thing I can keep an eye on for a day or so? Or do I need to wash it and put something on it right away? And if so, what? I looked at the medicine chart on PoultryPedia. Looks like Campho Phenique is a possibility. And Neosporin. It appears to have no ingredients that end with "ane" which I read on another thread are poisonous.

Also, what do you think the danger is of my other two pecking at her? The one with the cut is by far the dominant bird.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Okay, I managed to stick her foot in some homemade saline solution that SpeckledHills posted back in April. Then I put Neosporin on the cut. My better half is out doing the weekly grocery run, and it's fixing to get dark, so I had to do it myself. Interestingly, once I got a good hold of her and dipped her foot in the solution, she seemed to relax a little. She did NOT like my applying the ointment. Don't know if that's because she just doesn't like her feet handled or if the cut is hurting her. She is certainly not limping. I do not have anything to wrap it with (other than a bandaid or some cotton and human first aid tape), so I left it open. They're about to retire for the night, so hopefully, they'll all leave it alone and it can start to heal.

I guess I'll repeat this treatment tomorrow and keep a close eye on her. Thanks for your advice, willowbranchfarm, and certainly other/more recommendations from you or anyone else would be most welcome.

Back
Top Bottom