1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cute pics of a first time chicken owner

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ctcasper, Apr 7, 2008.

1. ctcasper

ctcasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    Here are a few pics of our new flock. We have 13 buff orpingtons and 2 barred rocks I think. Enjoy.

Here they are in their temporary home until my husband finishes the other end of the tractor and gets our permanent coop done. Hopefully this weekend.
    [​IMG]

Here's my daughter with her friend. She would spend all day in the coop if we would let her. It's been too cold to have them outside but we have them in the coop under a 75 watt light bulb until it's done being ishy cold out.
    [​IMG]

Another pic of the buff orpington, they are my favorites.
    [​IMG]

My husband had to have a couple black and white barred rocks?? so they ended up in the carrier with the rest. Does anyone know what causes the bald spot behind the eye???A few of them have this.
    [​IMG]

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Are you referring to the ear lobe? Looks like quite a few cockerels in the bunch.

Beautiful babies!

3. ctcasper

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    NOOOOO......I was hoping that wasn't the case, I really want layers. If there are too many roos I will have to get more and I don't know if I want to do that or not........how do you tell and can you tell if there are ANY hens???

4. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    How old are they? Very cute pics!

5. ctcasper

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    They are about 8 weeks. I made a post to try and find out how many are roos and how many are pullets

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The ones I can see I'd say they're all roos. Where did you get them?

7. ctcasper

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    From someone who had supposedly boughten a straight run and didn't want them. I picked out the healthiest ones they had. If you want a closer look I posted closer up pics of them all.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I think somebody was getting rid of their extra roos without telling you. I looked at the other post too and I'd say roos on all that I could see their combs.

9. ctcasper

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    Well, If that is true, then I will be buying another batch of chickens

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Were they sold to you as pullets or as straight run? If they were sold to you as pullets I'd go talk to whoever sold them to you. Not that it will probably do any good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by