Cutting down on wasted feed in the brooder?

Read an article on fermented feed. I just need to soak some normal feed in water for a few days? That's it? I'll need to try it when I get home.

I second the motion on fermented feed. Not only will it eliminate waste, but it's far better for your chicks.

Whatever you feed chicks, know that they are inclined to walk and wallow in their food. It's the way of chicks. Even older chickens do it. I've found that dishes with straight sides eliminates the ability to "beak" or "bill" out the food in the dish. Many dog dishes come with straight sides. Or you can make your own feeding troughs with straight sides.

I made a fermented feed chick feeder out of an ice cube tray glued to a heavy board and covered with a piece of half inch hardware cloth crimped over the sides so it will easily slide off and on the ice cube tray. It keeps the chicks from walking in their food and the food remains in the dish until it's eaten.
Yes, I would love to see a picture of this! So how many chicks should 1 ice cube tray of food feed in one day? I am filling up an entire mason jar each day for my 5 chicks. I've been reading up on fermenting feed, honestly I haven't done it yet because I don't have 2-3 containers big enough laying around, and also I have no idea how much they should actually be eating in a day because so much of it gets lost in the pine shavings. I'm guessing about 25% is getting wasted, judging by what I see when I dump out the brooder every 4 days to clean it. When I take the powder that's left in the bottom of the feeder and mix it with water and give it to them, they will only eat it if there is no other food in the brooder. They really don't seem to care for it much.

Let me see if I can get a pic for you. Meanwhile, go ahead and get a juice pitcher and fill it a third of the way with feed. Cover it in warm water to just above the feed level and stir. Add a tablespoon of ACV , with the mother. Stir again and stir twice a day. Add water if necessary to make a consistency like pablum. It shouldn't be soupy, but not hard, either.

It will be ready to eat in 24 hours, but it won't be well fermented until 48, so get another batch going by tonight in another container so you have a tandem supply fermenting. Any containers will do.

I am dickering around with the post off over my shipment of baby chicks which are stranded somewhere out there and are looking to be relegated to spending a freezing night on some dock if I don't find a way to travel to where they currently are to rescue them, so I may not be back on the forum until later.

I only use one container, and back slop it it gets to about one feeding worth, my ratio is 1 part water to 1 part feed, ACV makes it ferment faster but is not necessary. I don't use glass as there is a chance for it to break if it is overfilled. You can feed after first 24 hrs but it takes a few days to get a good ferment the first time making it. Mine I make the night before and it is ready to go the next morning.

My FF made back slopped last night

After mixing

Smells like beer and looks like oatmeal.

Many different ways to make, but this is the easiest for me.

Here's the ice cube tray FF chick feeder with one quarter in hardware cloth crimped over it so it easily slides off but still remains tightly in place so the chicks can't knock it off. It's glued onto two separate boards to both give it weight and to elevate it to keep shavings out of the food.

Here's the ice cube tray FF chick feeder with one quarter in hardware cloth crimped over it so it easily slides off but still remains tightly in place so the chicks can't knock it off. It's glued onto two separate boards to both give it weight and to elevate it to keep shavings out of the food.
That.is.awesome. Thank you so much for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom