Cutting egg shells?

Mary Of Exeter

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Rowan County, NC
I don't get how some of you manage to cut patterns, holes, or simply cutting eggs in half, to make decorations. We tried with a dremel, but it didn't work! It just sorta chipped all to bits. Help?

when I blow my eggs I start with a small pin hole and just keep poking a little bigger and bigger around the hole until it gets to the size I want. Takes some time but patience is a vertue I hear LoL.
I have no idea how people cut shapes out of the eggs. Tricky tricky.

Hi! I've tried carving eggs myself with limited luck, mostly just making really basic shapes. It needs a steadier hand than mine, I think. For carving anything that delicate you need a high speed drill. Some dremels will work, but probably not the ones with lower rpm. The one I have will cut, but not make any of the finer carvings or details, too much vibration. And there are some really good bits that you can buy for dremels, too. I've seen some at Home Depot, but haven't gotten around to get the cutting ones yet.

Last edited:
I will keep that in mind next time we go to Home Depot or Lowes, thanks!
big_smile.png

try taping the egg with painters tape where you want to scribe. i know woodworkers do that for veneer and wood like partical board that will chip out if you dont.

draw the line or dot on the tape and use the dremel. Also if you are shaky, use something to support your wrist.

Back
Top Bottom