Cutting my dogs nails... help... suggestions?

Quote:
I would think so! I know the show folk like short nails for a compact-looking foot, but I would think nails chopped off at the base would look unnatural to the judge - and that is nothing anyways to the pain caused to the dog! Wouldn't cutting the nails like that cause abnormal growth after a while, too? I know of a dog that broke a nail that short accidently and it never grew back properly - it was twisted and extra thick. Anyway, the collie show folk I know use the same method I wrote about for getting short nails (but not stubs!) without the pain.

Well, Quail's post got me side-tracked and I never wrote what I meant to in answer to the original poster: Yes, follow the advice here and use a Dremel and get her used to it slowly by letting her sniff it and see it while it is on, then just barely sanding on the tips at first. And lots of treats and praise. I have collies fostering here now and then and I had one that obviously had been quicked too many times by ham-fisted owners with clippers. With the same sort of work recommended by other posters here, she tolerated the Dremel, though she always had her head hanging and her tail tucked but at least she didn't fight and squirm.

If your dog is getting blind because of age, then perhaps her hearing isn't too good either and she'll not be bothered by the sound of a Dremel. If she is old enough to be getting arthritic, that could also be why her nails are getting sensitive to the clippers squeezing. Also, if you are going to use clippers, make sure they are SHARP! Otherwise they do pinch the quick inside even if you are careful not to quick them.

Quote:
Lol well, my dog also hates the pedipaws. i figure since she was abandoned her first owners didn't bother doing her nails when they had her. They were extremely long when i found her. And yeah she would put up quite a fight when I used the clippers. It wasn't the clippers she hated. It was the clicking noise they made she was scared of. For some reason clicking noises bother her. I got tired of wrestling he rover it, and got the pedipaws. I paid about $20 for it at meijers. The pet shops charge more for them. She'sd about as socailized with it as I can get her. Have to use a muzzle because she bites the hting. And if she doesn't try to get that, she bites me. The muzzle is more or less a distraction for her when its time to do her nails.

I am also glad the Op isn't following some the advice above. I say the dremel is the best way to go. less of a wrestling match, and won't hurt the dog any.

I feel your frustration with the nail cutting. May I ask: what type of nail trimmer r u using? The better the tool, the less risk of injury. the type shaped like a plyers with a hole notched out is the best. That one where the blade slides over a hole that u set the claw in... no good. High rate of injury. BTW, shame on your vet! Mine does 'em for 8 bucks!
Good luck!
Kelly

Quote:
yes i have the scissor type.... The vets are insanely priced where I am... I live in Guelph Where 1 of the 2 Veterinary teaching schools are in the country. you would think one could get a deal on nail trims right?... wrong everything is insanely over priced everywhere in town. My vet who is over an hour away would do them for free but it would cost me $20 in fuel to get there and back anyway

Quick story about the over priced vets here in town:
7.3lb min pin 6 months old no heat... in for a spay estimate over $300 + $30 to remove stitches here in town
same dog... my vet $139 stitch removal included...
the lesson to ohone around... priceless
gig.gif
could not resist

Quote:
yes i have the scissor type.... The vets are insanely priced where I am... I live in Guelph Where 1 of the 2 Veterinary teaching schools are in the country. you would think one could get a deal on nail trims right?... wrong everything is insanely over priced everywhere in town. My vet who is over an hour away would do them for free but it would cost me $20 in fuel to get there and back anyway

Quick story about the over priced vets here in town:
7.3lb min pin 6 months old no heat... in for a spay estimate over $300 + $30 to remove stitches here in town
same dog... my vet $139 stitch removal included...
the lesson to ohone around... priceless
gig.gif
could not resist

Holy moly thats expensive! I had our dog spayed, $120 (Heeler) and the stitches were the disolving kind, didn't have to go back.

THey really shouldn't overprice getting dogs fixed - but thats another vent... um I mean thread!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I would think so! I know the show folk like short nails for a compact-looking foot, but I would think nails chopped off at the base would look unnatural to the judge - and that is nothing anyways to the pain caused to the dog! Wouldn't cutting the nails like that cause abnormal growth after a while, too? I know of a dog that broke a nail that short accidently and it never grew back properly - it was twisted and extra thick. Anyway, the collie show folk I know use the same method I wrote about for getting short nails (but not stubs!) without the pain.

I leave 1/4" of nail. It takes 2 minutes. My dogs don't budge. I've been doing this since they were pups. Not a big deal. - and no, there is no "abnormal growth". As a matter of fact, because I have kept them so short, they practically don't bleed anymore because the vein has receeded. Just like it should.

Long tonails can get caught, or worse, *ruin* the feet of a dog. It causes more long-term pain for them when they older, as the entire tendon and bone structure of the foot and pastern can weaken when the nails are no longer trimmed back.

QuailHollowP&P :

Quote:
ET: We're on a chicken forum. .. Nevermind.

You are 100% right... we are on a chicken forum... BUT
I consider some on this "chicken forum" to be friends and I was asking friends for their suggestion, and because this is the www everyone can see and even tho many that have responded I have not spoken with directly answered and tried to help (including yourself) I do appreciate everyone's input.​

Back
Top Bottom