D’Uccle cock or pullet?

I'd personally said it's a little more nuanced than that. It's okay to cuddle a cockerel IF it's on your terms and ONLY IF he knows already that you are in control. In my experience this has helped with keeping certain roosters (my little MF D'uccle included) in line. It really depends on the cockerels temperament though, as well as your own ability to play such power games effectively.

For example, my first bantam cochin cockerel was my baby. He loved to cuddle with me, and he came running when he saw me. He totally owned me and I was blissfully unaware of how bad this was. In his little bird brain, he was on top of the world - and me, so when hormones kicked in (and they always do) his aggression came out and it was all directed toward me. If I was cuddling him he was sweet as could be, but he would peck me and draw blood if I didn't immediately give him attention when he wanted it. If I paid more attention to another chicken in his presence he would absolutely lose it and chase after me. I tried my best to salvage the damaged relationship I had unwittingly caused by rooster training but by that point it was too late and he was out of control.

View attachment 1486007

In a different case, I also had my Mille Fleur D'uccle, who was raised in the same flock as him. I knew earlier that this one was a cockerel, so I didn't get so attached and cuddly, even though this chicken was THE CUTEST AND SWEETEST chick ever. He learned to keep his distance naturally, and I learned my lesson with my cochin. I chose to handle all of my chickens as often as I can, so that if I need to they will let me. With my roosters, I make it a point to occasionally pick them up and hold them so they know I am not afraid of them. I don't let them climb all over me or spontaneously jump up on me, but I am also kind to them and when I pick them up I will pet them or rub under their wings or wattles as they enjoy that a lot. Then I decide when to put them down. I make sure that I am in control of every detail of our interaction and I don't spoil them. This has worked exceptionally well with a few of my boys, especially this little D'uccle, who is currently our head rooster now that I've done some flock management and gotten down to a good ratio of hens to roosters.

View attachment 1486006
My little Beau with his two favourite hens.

That makes sense! I will start trying that strategy instead. He is the sweetest thing in the whole world! I will make sure he knows I am the boss though. Thanks!!!

Out of my bantam Cochin LB leghorn cross batch I ended up with one chick that momma completely rejected. This little chick was hand raised by me for a few weeks before I had the ability to get it some of its own kind.
After about a month I already know this chick was a male and his name was Stitch.
Considering his father was a horribly aggressive leghorn rooster (who was culled) I was terrified he’d end up being aggressive.
Not in the slightest. He is two years old and very well mannered, however he is extremely protective of me and has went after the dogs before.(never people tho!) But he’s 28 ounces... so what’s he gonna do to the 95 pound lab? Not too much.
Not going to lie though I’d preferred to be attacked by a bantam rooster then a standard sized rooster.

D’uccles are my absolute favored breed of chickens (actually just ordered 25 porcelains!) Them and Cochin Bantams are my top pick.

Some breeds of roosters tend to be more aggressive then others. But even breed doesn’t always make the bird.

When it comes down to it just make sure he knows your limits and space. It’s hard when your favorite bird because a man killer. And you DONT want one of those, I promise.

I have six adult Nankin roos and all of them are sweet-natured. They've been handled sine they were a week old, and border on spoiled. The only aggression we ever get from them is an occasional attack on my son's sneaker laces from one of them. It's only one pair and only the laces. I don't know what "Simpleton" (yes, that's his name!) thinks they are, but whatever it is, he hates 'em! As long as DS wears other shoes ... no aggression from any of them. We have an OEGB that rides on shoulders and wears a leash to school visits. Our D-Uccles is friendly, but not overly so, but all three of the D's are flightier than my other banties, so it may just be their nature.
So - Roosters can be handled, but not spoiled. Just make sure he'll back off if you tap his beak or comb (like a dominant rooster would expect) and don't let him crow while you are handling him without responding as "The Boss." Your lap is not territory he is ever allowed to claim... ever!

I have six adult Nankin roos and all of them are sweet-natured. They've been handled sine they were a week old, and border on spoiled. The only aggression we ever get from them is an occasional attack on my son's sneaker laces from one of them. It's only one pair and only the laces. I don't know what "Simpleton" (yes, that's his name!) thinks they are, but whatever it is, he hates 'em! As long as DS wears other shoes ... no aggression from any of them. We have an OEGB that rides on shoulders and wears a leash to school visits. Our D-Uccles is friendly, but not overly so, but all three of the D's are flightier than my other banties, so it may just be their nature.
So - Roosters can be handled, but not spoiled. Just make sure he'll back off if you tap his beak or comb (like a dominant rooster would expect) and don't let him crow while you are handling him without responding as "The Boss." Your lap is not territory he is ever allowed to claim... ever!

Well, I now have a newly found respect for the term, “you learn something new every day”. I didnt know that tapping the beak and comb would tell them that you are the boss. I did know that crowing is a sign of dominance. No crowing around me anymore!! :old:lol:

Oh thank you thank you thank you!!:wee
His favorite thing to do is sit in my lap and groom himself. I really was upset about having to cut out cuddles.
Omg don’t then if he likes it especially!! Them being brats depends on their social skills really in my opinion. The more they’re consistently handled the better they are. I have never had an agressive bantam rooster really. So yeah just handle him consistently and im sure he’ll turn out fine.

Omg don’t then if he likes it especially!! Them being brats depends on their social skills really in my opinion. The more they’re consistently handled the better they are. I have never had an agressive bantam rooster really. So yeah just handle him consistently and im sure he’ll turn out fine.

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom