Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Hi, I am going to go look at a few snowy call duck pairs a local breeder has for sale. I was wondering if anyone who breeds these birds can give me any tips as far was what to look for in the pair I pick (color, and conformation).

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hi, I am going to go look at a few snowy call duck pairs a local breeder has for sale. I was wondering if anyone who breeds these birds can give me any tips as far was what to look for in the pair I pick (color, and conformation).

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Larry Mrozinski of Indiana breeds quite a nice string of Snowy Calls, you might want to give him a ring. He is also the owner of Hienold Feeds in Kouts, IN and they produce some very nice formulas of duck feed, with the animal protein and other nutrients that are especially important for ducks. I use all three of their specialty waterfowl formulas.

I hope calls ate as small as they say :)

You have to really watch size when choosing your breeder birds. Look for breeders 1.0-1.3 pounds with big round heads, tiny bills, tiny feet, short round bodies. These will lay well & should produce some of the smaller show quality size birds of 10-14 ounce size but will also produce some birds over the 1.5 pound mark. These mid-size birds make the brest breeders because they are heartier & lay better than the tiny show quality birds but will still produce those tiny show birds.

My little drake weighs in at 1.06 pounds. All but 1 henn fall in the 1.2-1.4 range. My tri-colir hen weighs in at 1.9 pounds. She will be culled (sold as a pet) later this summer. I am trying to get a smaller baby from her in her color first.

You have to really watch size when choosing your breeder birds. Look for breeders 1.0-1.3 pounds with big round heads, tiny bills, tiny feet, short round bodies. These will lay well & should produce some of the smaller show quality size birds of 10-14 ounce size but will also produce some birds over the 1.5 pound mark. These mid-size birds make the brest breeders because they are heartier & lay better than the tiny show quality birds but will still produce those tiny show birds.

My little drake weighs in at 1.06 pounds. All but 1 henn fall in the 1.2-1.4 range. My tri-colir hen weighs in at 1.9 pounds. She will be culled (sold as a pet) later this summer. I am trying to get a smaller baby from her in her color first.
I see. I hope these can show in the APA because people are already saying I should not get Pekin bantams since they can not show in the APA

I see. I hope these can show in the APA because people are already saying I should not get Pekin bantams since they can not show in the APA

You will want to check APA guidelines for SOP specifics on colors & patterns but the bidy style basics are what need to be there first to make it a call duck. I do not breed for show but do try to keep body & size as close to SOP as possible. My flock is mixed color & I actually breed for color variety, but I still want them to conform physically even if colors aren't specifically accepted. A bird with good body shape & size can be shown in AOV category no matter what color it is.

You will want to check APA guidelines for SOP specifics on colors & patterns but the bidy style basics are what need to be there first to make it a call duck. I do not breed for show but do try to keep body & size as close to SOP as possible. My flock is mixed color & I actually breed for color variety, but I still want them to conform physically even if colors aren't specifically accepted. A bird with good body shape & size can be shown in AOV category no matter what color it is.

Thanks for the help, I do not care much for showing as long as the bird's a good bird=)

I just got a really nice pair for a very reasonable price from a breeder in Iowa. I can get you his e-mail if you like.

I'm going to Oregon so no thanks, we are not shipping, I am driving to a hatchery so none of them are stressed
smile.png

I just got a really nice pair for a very reasonable price from a breeder in Iowa. I can get you his e-mail if you like.

I'm going to Oregon so no thanks, we are not shipping, I am driving to a hatchery so none of them are stressed:)  .

Always better to avoid shipping when possible. I just couldn't locate any of the quality I wanted locally in a timely manner.

Back
Top Bottom