Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Sweatervest

Hi all! I was hoping to get some input. This is my first winter with call ducks. I have 4. Can anyone give me some winter tips? We've had beautiful, warm weather all month till now. I'm in the process of finishing their new enclosure and could easily implement any tips now. Enclosure is a 8x6 dog kennel. I'm picking up a thick rubber tub from tsc today for their pool and the duck house is a huge, insulated plastic dog house. It also had a heater installed when I bought it (honestly I'm not sure if it works) but I wasn't planning on using it unless it was necessary? Also should the kennel get wrapped in 6mm plastic?
Thanks, any tips appreciated!

Hi all! I was hoping to get some input. This is my first winter with call ducks. I have 4. Can anyone give me some winter tips? We've had beautiful, warm weather all month till now. I'm in the process of finishing their new enclosure and could easily implement any tips now. Enclosure is a 8x6 dog kennel. I'm picking up a thick rubber tub from tsc today for their pool and the duck house is a huge, insulated plastic dog house. It also had a heater installed when I bought it (honestly I'm not sure if it works) but I wasn't planning on using it unless it was necessary? Also should the kennel get wrapped in 6mm plastic?
Thanks, any tips appreciated!
they are cold hardy, and should be fine
you'll just want to keep the water from freezing just like chickens :)
i am trying out a submersible aquarium heater this year

they are cold hardy, and should be fine
you'll just want to keep the water from freezing just like chickens :)
i am trying out a submersible aquarium heater this year 

That is good to hear! Thanks! I've looked into those aquarium heaters myself. Have you ever heard of filling up small bottles with salt water and submerging them in the duck pool to keep the water from freezing? Someone told me about this but I couldn't find it on byc though.

That is good to hear! Thanks! I've looked into those aquarium heaters myself. Have you ever heard of filling up small bottles with salt water and submerging them in the duck pool to keep the water from freezing? Someone told me about this but I couldn't find it on byc though.
nope, i dont think it would help much, salt changes the temperature at which the water will freeze.
Normally 32* but depending on how much salt, it could be as low as 28*
but for the water that is not salted outside of that jug it is still 32* that it will freeze

i have also seen a wooden box placed over a 40w light bulb, with the water placed on top of the box, does not seem very safe to me, but it worked

I think the aquarium heaters are cheap, and fairly efficient. so that is what i am going to try out this winter

nope, i dont think it would help much, salt changes the temperature at which the water will freeze. 
Normally 32* but depending  on how much salt, it could be as low as 28* 
but for the water that is not salted outside of that jug it is still 32* that it will freeze

i have also seen a wooden box placed over a 40w light bulb, with the water placed on top of the box, does not seem very safe to me, but it worked

I think the aquarium heaters are cheap, and fairly efficient. so that is what i am going to try out this winter

Let me know which one you go with and I will give it a try too.

Back
Top Bottom