Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Have you ever tried putting like a ping pong ball in the water dish? I've heard that the constant movement will keep the water from freezing.
i would think that eventually the ball would stop moving and freeze in it
hu.gif

this is probably similar to how you put a floaty thing in a pool for the winter, it breaks the surface tension so that when the ice expands it doesnt blow out the sides of the pool

i would think that eventually the ball would stop moving and freeze in it
hu.gif

this is probably similar to how you put a floaty thing in a pool for the winter, it breaks the surface tension so that when the ice expands it doesnt blow out the sides of the pool

True... this also probably would not work in really cold climates. Around here when water freezes it is only a thin layer. I am going to try it this winter if I can remember
hmm.png
to see if it works.

Here in Tennessee, we use partially filled gallon jugs to float in horse troughs and small ponds to help keep water open. Some folks even add salt to their water jugs, as higher concentrations of salt in water causes the water to have a lower freezing temperature.

Hope this helps.

Here in Tennessee, we use partially filled gallon jugs to float in horse troughs and small ponds to help keep water open.  Some folks even add salt to their water jugs, as higher concentrations of salt in water causes the water to have a lower freezing temperature. 

Hope this helps. 
how does putting salt inside of the jug that is enclosed help keep the outside water from freezing? The salt water is inside the jug if it is enclosed and cannot get out. I understand the motion of the job helping to keep the surface tension of the water so it won't freeze.

how does putting salt inside of the jug that is enclosed help keep the outside water from freezing? The salt water is inside the jug if it is enclosed and cannot get out. I understand the motion of the job helping to keep the surface tension of the water so it won't freeze.

Not sure myself, as I don't put salt in my jugs. I suppose it may be to keep the jug water from freezing so the jug bobs around more than if it were frozen?? Maybe the horses play with it more due to the salt? When I asked them, they just replied that's the way we've always done it, cause salt water freezes slower. I haven't figured out the rational, which is why I haven't bothered to add salt to mine. Our winters here are mild compared to many areas of the country, plain old jugs work well enough for our horses, sheep and critters.

Never heard of that here...
hu.gif

Meaning we are in Tennessee, not the great north. Here in TN the winters are mild compared to northern parts of the country. Our personal experience is we have had years of success by simply floating jugs in our animals' troughs and ponds to help keep the water from freezing over. Poster has NC listed, so they are in the same region of the US and it may work for them as well. We have friends up north that use aerators and water agitators to help keep their ponds open during the winter. Moving water will stay open longer than still water. Just sharing our experience and what some of our friends do. It's an inexpensive and easy aid for our winter chores. As with anything, one will have to do what is best for them and their situation.

Meaning we are in Tennessee, not the great north.  Here in TN the winters are mild compared to northern parts of the country.  Our personal experience is we have had years of success by simply floating jugs in our animals' troughs and ponds to help keep the water from freezing over.  Poster has NC listed, so they are in the same region of the US and it may work for them as well.   We have friends up north that use aerators and water agitators to help keep their ponds open during the winter.  Moving water will stay open longer than still water.  Just sharing our experience and what some of our friends do.  It's an inexpensive and easy aid for our winter chores. As with anything, one will have to do what is best for them and their situation. 
the jug thing is a good idea. The salt part boggles my mind but the jug thing I understand. I've tried it with horses in Ohio and well, the horses steal the jug and see how long it takes to destroy it. :gig Ravyn is in Tennessee also.

the jug thing is a good idea. The salt part boggles my mind but the jug thing I understand. I've tried it with horses in Ohio and well, the horses steal the jug and see how long it takes to destroy it. :gig Ravyn is in Tennessee also.

That's what was confusing me as well... been in Tennessee for several years, but was born and raised in the PNW... never heard of salt in the jugs in either place...

Back
Top Bottom