Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

This time of the year when I'm not worried about pure breeds, they free range. I have about 40 acres, pasture and woods, but they tend to stay near the coops and my house/garage. They never go any further

That would adorable! i cannot let mine loose due to my bigger ducks and the rogue cats around this area, my cat tries his best to keep them off the land but he's only capable of so much.

Last edited:
Thanks! It didn't take long at all to train. I just used paint sticks from Lowes with a small section painted either yellow, red, or blue. Then rewarded them when they touched their target and not the other ones. I then would slowly start to move them farther away and once they each had that down I worked on presenting all three colors and again only rewarding them when they touched their color. They used to peck my hand for food so they caught on pretty quickly. I'll be working on station training them next once my plans for it are approved. I'll work on having someone take a short video of it and get it posted so you can see them in action!

Thanks! It didn't take long at all to train. I just used paint sticks from Lowes with a small section painted either yellow, red, or blue. Then rewarded them when they touched their target and not the other ones. I then would slowly start to move them farther away and once they each had that down I worked on presenting all three colors and again only rewarding them when they touched their color. They used to peck my hand for food so they caught on pretty quickly. I'll be working on station training them next once my plans for it are approved. I'll work on having someone take a short video of it and get it posted so you can see them in action!
That is amazing. I can't wait to see some videos!

so these are my newly hatched call babies. They hatched under a silkie so they may grow up short on duck sense.

I'd love to hear if anyone has ideas of colors on some of them. The bright yellow I figure is a white but that's pretty much all I'm sure of LOL.

so these are my newly hatched call babies. They hatched under a silkie so they may grow up short on duck sense. I'd love to hear if anyone has ideas of colors on some of them. The bright yellow I figure is a white but that's pretty much all I'm sure of LOL.
Soooo cute! Colour wise I thinkyou are right on pic 1 Pic 2 I think is a grey Pic 3 grey pic 4 Ancona pic 5 ancona I am not sure on the paler yellow one. Does it have eye stripes?

I didn't even know Ancona was a color of call ducks :) 2 and 3 are lighter than the two I think are mallards that have really black patches in the same place.

The paler yellow one has no eye stripes and is by far the smallest of the lot. It doesn't stop her bossing around her sisters and brothers though LOL. I was thinking maybe buff or apricot seeing they are both light colors, although to be fair I'm not sure either starts as a yellowish duckling.

The parents wont help much because I have a mixed flock

I'll grab some better pictures of the dark ones and the pale yellow one in the morning they are all tucked under their mother hen at the moment.

don't we all love my photobombing australorp.

Back
Top Bottom