Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Help! It's freezing out, the pond has a waterfall, so there are some holes in the otherwise inch thick ice. The calls keep going in there, and they are forming icicles on there rears when they come out. Is it dangerous?

Only if they can't warm up and dry off... if it worries you too much, block them off and just give them smaller opening waterers that they can still dunk their heads in but can't climb into...

minihorse927 yes they have a large building they sleep in with hay
then they will be fine. I watched mine last year swim when it was -25 and the water instantly froze to their feathers. They got out and laid down and preened all the ice off their feathers. All of them are still doing good

Last edited:
then they will be fine. I watched mine last year swim when it was -25 and the water instantly froze to their feathers. They got out and laid down and preened all the ice off their feathers. All of them are still doing good

X2

They're a lot smarter and hardier than many give them credit for... as long as they have access to get out of the wind and dry, covered secured nighttime quarters, they should be fine... they'll let you know if it's too much for them, lol... mine went into the yard for about 15 mins today... now half are in their house and the other half are laying just outside on their straw...:)

Last edited:
Help! It's freezing out, the pond has a waterfall, so there are some holes in the otherwise inch thick ice. The calls keep going in there, and they are forming icicles on there rears when they come out. Is it dangerous?

I just sent ravyn a message because I was in a sheer panic! My son had an allergic reaction to nuts at school and I had to leave immediately and take him to urgent care (I was only gone a couple hours) but when I got home and went out to check on my babies they literally had icecicles forming down the backs of their necks and their wings!! My mind went crazy thinking of how I could create an enclosure in the basement...where I could move all the boxes and tools too, how would I keep them in one area, would they flood the place...could a small pool fit in there?...just a million thoughts on how to get my guys warm and safe. They keep hanging out in their little pool with ice all around them. Guess I need a heater. They have an insulated dog house but they have not gone in it. I'm going to go put them in now. Even if they are ok, I need the peace of mind!!!

I would be a little concerned that they could dive under the open spot and get trapped under the ice.

Back
Top Bottom