Dachshunds and chickens?

Are they a good choice on a farm?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Idk

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I really don't think that is true. Training can only do so much. A dog with a high prey drive is going to have a high prey drive no matter what. I would NEVER trust a Husky or a Malamute around any class of livestock.
I know a Husky who is around chickens he never harms them. But he does like rabbits and has brought many live baby bunnies back.
He has strong bloodlines to.

And im pretty sure there is someone on BYC with a husky they allow around their chickens and ducks.

I know a Husky who is around chickens he never harms them. But he does like rabbits and has brought many live baby bunnies back.
He has strong bloodlines to.

And im pretty sure there is someone on BYC with a husky they allow around their chickens and ducks.
There will be exceptions with every breed. I know loads of people who keep "pit bulls" around their livestock, the same dogs who chase down wild animals will sometimes feel that their human's animals are also their own and are more nurturing and protective. Most dogs have self control and a desire to please their owners, which means most dogs even if they have high prey drive will learn to coexist to a certain degree with other animals.
Breed traits and characteristics have a very strong influence over how a dog will turn out. Most golden retrievers are total goofballs and they love people with every fiber of their being, they have been bred for a very long time to be people pleasers and loyal hard working dogs, but still a few will become aggressive or independent, the aggressive and independent GRs don't become the breed standard though, they're still considered anomalies or outliers.
I'm just asking if enough temperamental outliers have been bred for their looks and companionship to make dachshunds a suitable choice for a farm. Many of today's medium/small dogs lost their jobs a long time ago and became extremely popular as pets. Not too long ago I think dachshunds were the third most popular pet dog breed in the US, but it seems they still sit between being a working dog and being a companion, not quite exclusively bred for one or the other at this point.

There will be exceptions with every breed. I know loads of people who keep "pit bulls" around their livestock, the same dogs who chase down wild animals will sometimes feel that their human's animals are also their own and are more nurturing and protective. Most dogs have self control and a desire to please their owners, which means most dogs even if they have high prey drive will learn to coexist to a certain degree with other animals.
Breed traits and characteristics have a very strong influence over how a dog will turn out. Most golden retrievers are total goofballs and they love people with every fiber of their being, they have been bred for a very long time to be people pleasers and loyal hard working dogs, but still a few will become aggressive or independent, the aggressive and independent GRs don't become the breed standard though, they're still considered anomalies or outliers.
I'm just asking if enough temperamental outliers have been bred for their looks and companionship to make dachshunds a suitable choice for a farm. Many of today's medium/small dogs lost their jobs a long time ago and became extremely popular as pets. Not too long ago I think dachshunds were the third most popular pet dog breed in the US, but it seems they still sit between being a working dog and being a companion, not quite exclusively bred for one or the other at this point.
There is a lot of unethical Golden Retriever who aren't to breed standard.

But there is show goldens meant for shows and being part of a family.

Then there is field goldens, one person hunting dogs that do okay with a family but would rather be with only one person and eat any animal they see.

Same for most dogs there is a show line and a field line.
If you want a dog with less prey drive you have to go to a show line that they barely have any prey drive or are easy to work them away from the prey. If you want a hunting companion go for a field line.

I know every dog is different, i never go by the breed standard either for personality and temperament because its rarely ever going to be the same.

Back
Top Bottom