Daddy Duck?

BantyHugger

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Ponder
As many of you know i raise and let my pekins breed/hatch as they wish. Well last year we kept one of the buff/pekin mutts. It turned out to be a male (now named Gordy). Gordy quickly grew up and picked one of our bachlorettes (Jean) to be his mate. He then proceeded to seperate himself and his mate from the other 8 ducks. I was a little worried at first but since they free range over 2 fenced in acres it seemed to work out.

Well now spring has come and Gordy is a full year old. He has apparently decided that he wants to be a dad. He makes Jean stay on this nest and seems to praise her with head bobbing after she lays an egg. I don't know that Jean is particularly intrested in being a mom, she has never successfully gone broody before. However she does seem to try and please Gordy. Lately (about a week now) Gordy has been all alone. He is fascinated with our new ducklings that are being keep in a seperate pen for safety reasons.

I just think its kinda odd for a male duck to act this way. Has anyone elses drakes peer pressured their mates into Brooding? Is it a buff duck thing? Our pure buff has never done anything like this....

Maybe you need to get him a buff girlfriend. They will set eggs
big_smile.png

Quote:
Well Jean has tried setting before but she is afraid of the chickens. I'm hoping she will be more successful this time. Gordy comes running every time she cries out. Its very sweet.

Back
Top Bottom