Dadgum Leghorns!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kickin' Chickin', Sep 19, 2011.

1. Kickin' Chickin'

Kickin' Chickin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Upstate New York
    Why is it that only my white leghorns have a problem with laying in the nesting boxes. They are laying anywhere and everywhere else. Is this common?. I have found eggs behind my washer in the garage, in a hamper , next to the compost bin,behind the ladders stacked next to the house, the list goes on and on . It's just the leghorns, all the other girls like the boxes. All I can think to myself is that they are too scrawny to eat!!(maybe)lol

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My leghorn is a religious nest-box layer, much more so than any of the other hens (except maybe the barred rocks). However, if there are any broody hens in the area, that's exactly where she wants to lay...she's a real pain in that aspect.

3. dominiquePL

dominiquePL Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Poland
    My 2 leghorns use nest boxes too.

4. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    I don't have leghorns but love what E B White has to say about them....they pause only long enough to lay an egg - who has time to find a nest!

5. cheapsk8

cheapsk8 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    Hillsville VA.
    Pick a day that the temp will stay 70 or less as long as your coop is well vented. Catch them coming off the roost watch them eat and drink and then coop them up in the nest box until they lay then let them out... After 2 days of this go normal and check to see if it stuck... Rinse and repeat untill they get it.. Mine took 3 days now they only lay in those boxes they were cooped in...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by