Dadgum Leghorns!!

Kickin' Chickin'

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
Upstate New York
Why is it that only my white leghorns have a problem with laying in the nesting boxes. They are laying anywhere and everywhere else. Is this common?. I have found eggs behind my washer in the garage, in a hamper , next to the compost bin,behind the ladders stacked next to the house, the list goes on and on . It's just the leghorns, all the other girls like the boxes. All I can think to myself is that they are too scrawny to eat!!(maybe)lol

My leghorn is a religious nest-box layer, much more so than any of the other hens (except maybe the barred rocks). However, if there are any broody hens in the area, that's exactly where she wants to lay...she's a real pain in that aspect.

Pick a day that the temp will stay 70 or less as long as your coop is well vented. Catch them coming off the roost watch them eat and drink and then coop them up in the nest box until they lay then let them out... After 2 days of this go normal and check to see if it stuck... Rinse and repeat untill they get it.. Mine took 3 days now they only lay in those boxes they were cooped in...

Back
Top Bottom