Daily Duck Egg Report

1 chicken egg today - I usually get two, one from each chicken. I think Shiela is moving her nest again. As soon as she finds Sheenas, she will steal it and go broody on it, even though I have no rooster.

2 duck eggs. I have another 3 in the cupboard, Im storing them up until my NEW INCUBATOR comes in the mail. Im worried its been so hot they might start but I'll just play it by ear. Ive only ever incubated with home made contraptions before, cant wait to do this. Ive waited for my duck babies for 6 years, I know the eggs are getting fertilized, now its time to see if I can get these babies past 3 weeks and into the world!

Id like to have a chat sometime about cross breeding because Im not convinced mine can successfully. Im also not convinced my Drake is the one doing the fertilizing...Hes so very slow and so many eggs are fertilized. The one duck Im not sure of, she breeds the other girls, but also lets the drake breed HER. If she was a drake she wouldnt would she(he)?

1 chicken egg today - I usually get two, one from each chicken. I think Shiela is moving her nest again. As soon as she finds Sheenas, she will steal it and go broody on it, even though I have no rooster.

2 duck eggs. I have another 3 in the cupboard, Im storing them up until my NEW INCUBATOR comes in the mail. Im worried its been so hot they might start but I'll just play it by ear. Ive only ever incubated with home made contraptions before, cant wait to do this. Ive waited for my duck babies for 6 years, I know the eggs are getting fertilized, now its time to see if I can get these babies past 3 weeks and into the world!

Id like to have a chat sometime about cross breeding because Im not convinced mine can successfully. Im also not convinced my Drake is the one doing the fertilizing...Hes so very slow and so many eggs are fertilized. The one duck Im not sure of, she breeds the other girls, but also lets the drake breed HER. If she was a drake she wouldnt would she(he)?

Have you posted a picture of the questionable duck/drake? Sometimes, drakes will breed to other drakes as a show of their dominance. Not sure, if this is what you are experiencing.

Ok heres a couple

The duck in question is the brown and white, Ephinny. She certainly SEEMS to be a duck. She even sat and nested once last year, but only once and only for a couple of days. I seem to get 3 distinctly different duck eggs which would indicate to me that all 3 girls are laying. Its just I never actually see Wist breed the females. I assume he's doing it in the shed at night or early morning, but I DEFINITELY see Ephinny breed the females! Last year it was just mounting and mating behaviours, this year its full on mating, and I never see Wist going at it like Ephinny does!

A couple of months ago I was certain Ephinny was a drake because she's so adventerous, always off by herself and escaping the pen. Then the next day I saw Wist put her in the pond and mount her and give her a good pecking, so I thought a drake wouldnt put up with that, surely?

Today I have 2 chicken eggs and 2 duck eggs. I got up late so they were all laid in the shed.

Ok heres a couple

The duck in question is the brown and white, Ephinny. She certainly SEEMS to be a duck. She even sat and nested once last year, but only once and only for a couple of days. I seem to get 3 distinctly different duck eggs which would indicate to me that all 3 girls are laying. Its just I never actually see Wist breed the females. I assume he's doing it in the shed at night or early morning, but I DEFINITELY see Ephinny breed the females! Last year it was just mounting and mating behaviours, this year its full on mating, and I never see Wist going at it like Ephinny does!

A couple of months ago I was certain Ephinny was a drake because she's so adventerous, always off by herself and escaping the pen. Then the next day I saw Wist put her in the pond and mount her and give her a good pecking, so I thought a drake wouldnt put up with that, surely?

Today I have 2 chicken eggs and 2 duck eggs. I got up late so they were all laid in the shed.
What pretty ducks, do you have a pool for them to play and mate in? if so sit and watch and if Ephinny is a drake and I don't see a drake feather, when she mounts the other girls and goes through the mating process you should see a drake penis hanging out the back end of her, can't miss it. and low ranking drake will usually not fight back if being put in his place but 2 drakes going after girls will fight for dominance. Do you see actual fighting?

We have 3 Khakis and 1 Cayuga, we started giving layer ration last Saturday or so (17 weeks for the lot) and we've seen 3 decent eggs, 1 brittle egg and nothing yesterday and today (so far today). The 3 decent eggs were laid before 8am, the brittle one was laid in the midafternoon.

They'll all be 18 weeks this Saturday, give or take a day (we bought them as hatchlings, barely out of the incubator).

We don't expect the Cayuga to lay for another month or so, but is this normal for the Khakis?

EDIT: they live in a duck run we move every week or so to new fresh grass/bugs. We tried putting cut dry grass down in a container as a nest box, but they just pulled it out and ate it and have been fluffing up the new grass and laying there (whichever of them did lay those eggs we got).

Last edited:
What pretty ducks, do you have a pool for them to play and mate in? if so sit and watch and if Ephinny is a drake and I don't see a drake feather, when she mounts the other girls and goes through the mating process you should see a drake penis hanging out the back end of her, can't miss it. and low ranking drake will usually not fight back if being put in his place but 2 drakes going after girls will fight for dominance. Do you see actual fighting?

Yep they have a big pond. I have definitely seen Wists penis, never seen Ephinnys. Let me tell you a little story, that will let you know why I think its so impossible Wist is fertilizing all the eggs.

Varia, Ephinny and Wist are all in the pond the other day. Both Varia and Ephinny are inviting him and doing mating behaviours. Wist Quacks and says, isnt the water lovely?

Frustrated, both Varia and Ephinny go flat like pancakes (I call it pancaking) hooting and muttering with desire. Wist looks up at the sky and says, my its warm today.

Further frustrated, Varia begins to plunge under the water and come up UNDER Wist. Not to be outdone, whenever Varia does it, Ephinny does too. Without fail, every time they surface directly beneath him, begging him, Wist says, Oh, excuse me, I didnt see you swimming there. And moves away!!!

When Ive been cracking them Ive got about 60% fertilized which is just fantastic, but its so hard for me to believe hes doing it!

I should get my incubator today!

I have 2 duck eggs and 2 chicken eggs today, that makes 11 duck eggs waiting for the incubator, cant wait!

Theres my whole flock yesterday afternoon.

We got an egg today, laid perfectly in a nest of grass. The duck ran around and hopped over it rather than risk the egg. So that makes gathering easier!

My girl laid her first egg today. If she doesn't sit on it what should I do? Should I do anything? How will I know if there is a little baby duck in there or not? This is my first time raising ducks so this is all new to me. I was told that since I didn't get them until Mach 28 at a day old that they wouldn't lay eggs until next year so I'm caught a little off guard. Someone with answers please help me. Thanks so much!!

Back
Top Bottom