Daily monitoring is the key to spotting trouble

jreardon1918

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 13, 2016
Southeast, MA
My Coop
My Coop
We do a twice daily inspections of the coop and chickens. Two days ago we spotted evidence of digging. The HW cloth apron prevented the predator from getting in.
We re-raked the dirt and repositioned a security camera and caught a glimpse of the critter last night. Looks like an opossum. This time it just walked by. I assume that is just to watch for openings. Cameras and daily watchfulness is key.

Attachments

• gotcha.JPG
    gotcha.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 16
I doubt the digger was the opossum.
When you do see the actual digging again, you will know for sure. Good to have cameras. :thumbsup

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:
We will keep watching. Last night , just a neighbor's dog. It is a good suggestion that the first predator spotted is not necessarily the one predator.

We will keep watching. Last night , just a neighbor's dog. It is a good suggestion that the first predator spotted is not necessarily the one predator.
Looks like the backside of a raccoon to me.
Good idea to check your chickens twice a day. I was going out yesterday for a few hours, I shut them inside, and when I got back and opened their door, I had forgotten to uncover their water, so they went ALL DAY without water. (Normally I don't cover it but the sparrows have been pooping in their water so I cover it at night) Anyway if I had only checked before I had left...

Good idea to check your chickens twice a day. I was going out yesterday for a few hours, I shut them inside, and when I got back and opened their door, I had forgotten to uncover their water, so they went ALL DAY without water. (Normally I don't cover it but the sparrows have been pooping in their water so I cover it at night) Anyway if I had only checked before I had left...
That’s the head of an opossum like the OP said. You can even see the lighter patch on his ear.

We have seen raccoons, but the full video rules out raccoon. I tired to upload it, but, it had a wrong file type. Hopefully we will get some better pictures soon. Or better, that predator has moved on. 🤞
We repositioned the video camera. Last night we did see two raccoons. They dug in a different area, but only a tiny bit. They hit the apron and stopped. No harm.
1614859639653.png

I think the first picture was a possum. I have had possums dig under a fence. You definitely have coons too. I would be more worried about the coons. If there is a way to get to your birds, they will find it. Good luck...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-to-protect-your-chickens-from-possums.47711/
Thanks. We have lots of predators. Fox, Coyotes, weasels, possum, raccoons, hawks. I am hopeful the twice daily inspection plus video cameras with alerts, will keep them safe. So far, no losses while the girls have been in the coop and secure run.

The auxiliary fenced area, we have had losses. That area is currently closed to the girls.

Back
Top Bottom