Dairy Goat and 2014 Kidding!

Tuhmu

Crowing
11 Years
May 22, 2012
North Dakota
Hello everyone! Quick background info. I currently run a herd of 13 Boer goats, that I sell for meat. Looking to up it to 25 this summer, I want to keep most of the girls since I leased a very nice buck. They are supposed to start kidding like three days ago, so I fear that its going to be chaos at my house very soonish haha.

Any who, I fear I'm going to be getting some triplets. I didn't have this problem last year as I only kidded out 6 does. But this year, I have some ladies that are enormous! So, the problem is. I have never bottle fed a goat, from all the research I've done, it seems milk replacer is not a good route to go for both the goat and my wallet ($90 + for a 50lb bag!!!!!
th.gif
). I know for this year I'm probably going to end up giving any babies away
hit.gif
, maybe, unless I can come up with a better solution. But for in the future! I have been toying with the idea of a "nanny goat".

I have been wanting to get a dairy goat for awhile now, seems like one would be a big step forward in my quest to become self effiecient. The only issue is I have never tried goat products, I mean, I'm hoping I would like it, going to have a very open mind when I do try some. I think I'm going to put up an ad in our local ad things and see if someone could give me a tour and see how they run things, and possibly try some goat stuff. I have a couple questions though first. But to be able to use the milk for any bottle kids I would have during this season.

~ How do you deal with the twice a day every day regardless of, rain/shine, hot/cold, winter/summer, peace/zombie apocalypse, issue? I'm thinking that if I timed it so that she would have her kid in say august, that would give me the summer almost off (other than the usual chores, where you can have neighbors get eggs/watch things for that day/weekend/whatever) because you stop milking the doe two months before she is due, yes?

Now that I think of it, that's really the only major thing holding me back other than trying the actual goat products. Any input would be most helpful, thx!

Last edited:
I have heard of some people using cows milk to bottle feed I use milk replacer it's called does match I never had a problem wit it mabie try n put the babies on a different doe that worked wit me before good luck

The milk replacer costs me 20 bucks for a 8 lbs bag I used two bags so for that's feeding 2 baby goats there already 5 weeks old after I run out this time I'm not buying anymore i don't knw if u have a tractor supply around u but the sell milk replacer for 7lb bag is 21.99 n 22lb bag is 59.99 u should used that more then one big for two lil goats if u have to feed just one goat it should last longer good luck if u have any questions just ask we feed our goats before work n after work n before bed depends when there lil then before work n before bed when there older

I live right next the Bakken oil patch, everything is expensive. They think everyone around here has oil money, when its like a small amount of people that do. The smallest bucket I seen was about $35 ish and I wanna say it was probably 15-20 lbs. From what I've been reading, it seems to be a hit or miss with using milk replacer for goats. You've never had a problem using it then?

The dairy goat interest is for both as a backup for bottle fed goats and because I like the idea of having all the options of homemade products with goat milk (If I even like it that is, I've only tried one cheese once and while I liked it, nobody else seemed to).

Even though milk replacer isn't recommended as highly, it should be fine. I mean, a lot of people do use it with no issues. But it does tend to cause scouring more often than kids fed from their mother's, and kids given whole cows milk. But obviously whole cows milk is a lot of more expensive in the long run than a bag of milk replacer powder.

Since you keep goats, you already know about scours. So just keep an eye on any bottle babies for any signs of it. Just be sure to feed the milk at a proper temperature (not cold), mix it according to the directions (making it with less water can lead to scours), and don't overfeed. Bottle kids sometimes will just chug down a lot more milk than they actually need, and that can cause stomach upset.

You can likely still keep the kids you bottle feed with their dams (unless she totally rejects them). In fact, most recommend it, because even the weaker ones still get a few sips. Bottle feed the kid or kids who aren't getting as much milk. If you feel you need to pull a kid from a mom to bottle feed totally, pull the strongest kid off Mom. That kid is most likely do to just fine when it comes to transitioning to the bottle. The weaker kid would better benefit from the constant supply of milk from the dam.

With the milking the dairy goat...you just kinda learn to deal with the milking during less than ideal conditions. The milking area should be in a sheltered area, it makes it a bit easier to handle the crap weather. It becomes a normal part of the daily care routine, eventually, and you feel odd when you aren't milking. Does should be dried off at least two months before kidding, yes. It gives the doe a chance to get ready for the next kids, to put on some weight (since kidding and milking can run them down, and when they're lactacting, all extra feed you give them tends to go right into the milk bucket, not on their ribs).

Thx for all the info so far everyone! I'm hoping I can find someone in ND that milks goats and would let me try some stuff. Did you have any trouble adjusting to goats milk? I have no idea what to expect and don't really want to get one if I can't get myself to drink kit. From everything I read it sounds like it is great stuff!

If you feed milk replacer keep some GasX in the barn for emergency cases of bloat. Some kids fed replacer do just fine. Others don't. And sometimes they bloat and when they do they do so suddenly and with no warning at all. In other words kids do fine on replacer until they don't. The Gas X works well to deflate them.

Goat milk shouldn't taste all that different from cow's milk. I find that Nubians generally have the best flavored milk but other goats can and produce good milk too. I would suggest you stay away from Toggs. Some lines of Toggs produce a strong flavored milk and this problem is hereditary. To be fair, most Toggs produce good milk but some don't.

Seems that Nubian is the preferred milking goat in ND also. I have two Nubian/boer crosses that were part of the 6 does I started with, and I've started moving more into the boer as I've expanded he herd. the only problem I have with both of them, and the doeling I kept from one of them is the constant whining! They are horrible for it lol, for no reason at all they have to just BAH BAH non stop if they see me, while the others are more like "just give us whats in the bucket and we wont trample you". I don't think either of them would be "milk goat" material though, they are getting a bit older and have never been milked as far as I know of. If I were to get a doe for milking, it would be better to get one that knows the drill and has been bred for that purpose not?

After a quick google search I did find one place that raises Nubians and sell soap! Going to try and get in contact with them and see if I can get a little hands on experience with this whole thing. I've been around farm animals my whole life, milked cows before, but have never milked a goat and have no idea how to actually go about processing the milk I guess. Hopefully they may have some that I could try also.

Seems that Nubian is the preferred milking goat in ND also. I have two Nubian/boer crosses that were part of the 6 does I started with, and I've started moving more into the boer as I've expanded he herd. the only problem I have with both of them, and the doeling I kept from one of them is the constant whining! They are horrible for it lol, for no reason at all they have to just BAH BAH non stop if they see me, while the others are more like "just give us whats in the bucket and we wont trample you". I don't think either of them would be "milk goat" material though, they are getting a bit older and have never been milked as far as I know of. If I were to get a doe for milking, it would be better to get one that knows the drill and has been bred for that purpose not?

After a quick google search I did find one place that raises Nubians and sell soap! Going to try and get in contact with them and see if I can get a little hands on experience with this whole thing. I've been around farm animals my whole life, milked cows before, but have never milked a goat and have no idea how to actually go about processing the milk I guess. Hopefully they may have some that I could try also.

It is easy enough to teach a goat how to milk. Though buying an experienced doe would certainly make it easier.

For a goat new to milking, before they freshen, you get them in the habit of getting them on the milk stand, touching their teats and udder. What I do, is I hold treats in one hand, and handle their udder parts at the same time. If they don't kick at my hand, they get the treat. And I don't feed my does while they are on the milk stand. I've found they give me attitude if the food runs out before I'm done milking. So they get it afterward as a reward. And not all does are kicky even as first fresheners. My newest first freshener stood as quietly as an old experienced doe the first time I got her on the stand!

If there are any alpine breeders near you, they aren't nearly as loud as nubians. And their milk tastes fantastic!

I think I would personally prefer an alpine, I just like how they look and their colors. So far my ad I put up has been fruitless, though I'm told if I join Facebook there's a group of breeders on there....I might have to explore that more. I'm really excited to try goat milk, but I'd rather have some from someone that milks their own goats rather than the "just try some from your goats" response I got today when I explained it to some relatives. Lol, it doesn't work like that I said :smack

Back
Top Bottom